New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Trying to Format New SSD on MacBook, failure to register

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VentureSister

VentureSister is on a distinguished road

After my 3rd hard drive failed in my 2 year old MacBook, I have decided to install my own hard drive instead of going with the Hitachi thing. I did this last time my drive fried but don't remember having this problem.

When I go to format my shiny new SSD drive (hopefully won't die like my previous hard drives) the formatting program fails to register that the drive exists at all. I go to 'disk utility' like all the guides say, but in the left hand bar all I see is "MAT****A DVD-R UJ-857D". Nested under that is "Mac OS X Install DVD". I'm assuming the first thing is just a fancy way of saying the install disk is registering. That's it. Nothing else.

Looked in every folder, tried everything I can think of it. It's a Transcend 2.5" D Solid State Disk with 64GB. I'm trying to loading my Leopard OS on it, but have run into epic failure so far. I'm tearing my hair out. The system is at least starting, so it must be registering my drive in some way, right? Or is it just booting from the install disk? Help me!

UPDATE: Don't know why I didn't try this earlier, but I took out the hard drive and tried restarting the computer with the same results, so it clearly IS booting from the disk. I'm sure I put it in correctly, but I can find no information if these drives are compatible with Macs. Does anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

Im not sure if the motherboard would have support for this.
is your macbook the one with 512MB RAM and 60GB hard drive?

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« which book has lights on the battery? | :( »