New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Which used laptop should i buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

Hi all,
Within the next 2-4 months i am probably going to be trading in my iMac G4 and my iBook G3 for a new(ish) apple laptop. now, going apple, in a logical sense, is stupid, because they cost so much money, even used, and for the price of a used out-of-warranty apple i could get a really nice (save for Vista) PC. BUT i do like OS X AND the hardware is known for lasting a looong time so, i probably want to stay with apple, but i have a couple of questions;
If i do decide to stay with apple and get an iBook or Powerbook ( i like the latter better), then which one should i get? I want to have a speed improvement over my 1.25 GHZ iMac, so 1.5, or at least 1.4 is a must. should i go for the late model iBook G4's or the Powerbook 12"? I like the powerbook because of the aluminum casing (which probably looks good longer than the plastic), and it's plethora of connections. I want to go 12" because of the huge price difference, and i have seen several recommendations on the internet to get a 12" powerbook, and then buy a non-apple LCD display (since i am used to 17" from my iMac) that i will then connect to it. or.... should i just pony up the money for a 15" screen? Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Go for the 12" PowerBook. I'm typing this on one of the 1.33 Ghz versions, and it is still to this day my favorite computer. Small, relatively fast (even now) and highly portable. I would recommend it. Mine also works great with an external screen, although I use it exclusively as a portable system these days.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

If you can live with the 12" screen, you could get a 12" powerbook. However my suggestion will always be my personal favourite, the 15" 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4. But honestly it all depends how much money you're planning on spending.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Bobeder9

Bobeder9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR

Depending on how much money you want to spend you can get an older Core Duo MacBook for pretty cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeder9 View Post
Depending on how much money you want to spend you can get an older Core Duo MacBook for pretty cheap.
ya, i was thinking that, i found a few on the web. but idk, i only want to spend about 800 dollars. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
killzone272

killzone272 is on a distinguished road

Hey im new here and i didnt know how to post up a thread or such so i went in to a thread that is closer to the subject.
I was just wondering if im tight on money which is better an ibook with 120gb 1.2 gb ram or a refurbished macbook oh and i am using a pc right now and wanted to moved to a mac so just wondering is the ibook worth spending that much please reply.

Korean Pride
QUOTE Thanks
davidg14

davidg14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzone272 View Post
Hey im new here and i didnt know how to post up a thread or such so i went in to a thread that is closer to the subject.
I was just wondering if im tight on money which is better an ibook with 120gb 1.2 gb ram or a refurbished macbook oh and i am using a pc right now and wanted to moved to a mac so just wondering is the ibook worth spending that much please reply.
Click here to make a new thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...newthread&f=13

For sale: 15" MBP Late 2007. 2.4GHZ, 2GB, 8600M GT 256MB, 160GB. Please PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to see how much warranty I got? | My Ibook has died »