New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - HD adding to iBook G3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dead_irdeto

dead_irdeto is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I purchased an Apple iBook G3 600Mhz with DV-ROM from a friend. The mac works, I have seen it working with external FireWire disk, and it boots from DVD pressing C key on start, but it has not an internal HD. So I decided to add it. I purchased from eBay a 120GB HD and I mounted it. All OK but just a little problem ... the mac does not boot. I have tried to set the HD master, slave, I have reset the firmare (with OP keys) . . . . . . but iBook does not see the HD.
What can I do ? Do anyone can help me ?
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

If you boot from your System CD does it see the drive? You may just need to format it and install an OS.
QUOTE Thanks
dead_irdeto

This is the problem. If the HD is connected the mac does not boot, it reads the DVD just for 2 or 3 seconds then it stops and the screen remains blank. From this point the iBook does not make any other activity.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

The good news is also the bad news, you have successfully diagnosed the problem. There is something wrong with that drive. The only thing I would double check is that the drive should be the master, on that bus the CD is always the slave. However, I thought that was set by the cable adaptor itself, so I wonder what you might mean about setting the master/slave.
QUOTE Thanks
dead_irdeto

Hello,
I am wrong as I'm newer and I never had a mac before one week ago, excuse me. I thought that master/slave had to be set as in PC system, but it is'nt. So, as the CD/DVD is always slave and I set the HD as master, could the HD be incompatible with the iBook ? There are limits about the size as my disc is 120GB ?
Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

The fact that the iBook won't boot with the drive installed is a pretty good indication that there is something really wrong with the drive. I suppose that there is a possibility there is a problem with the bus/logic board itself... Was the drive used?
QUOTE Thanks
dead_irdeto

Yes, the drive is "OEM Recertified".
Do you think the problem could be in the flat "Hard Drive / CD-DVD ribbon" ? for example an invisible break in a film track
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

It is possible, I think the only way to test this is with a known good hard drive...
QUOTE Thanks
dead_irdeto

Thank you for the prompt answer.
I will try to do the test. Do you confirm that I can use a 160GB ? (as I have one and I am sure of its quality)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Overheating | Is upgrading my RAM worth it? »