New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - White (and Black?) MacBook .... HELP! (really)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UncleAsh

UncleAsh is on a distinguished road

A funny thing happened on the way to the Mac forum ...
(funny and true story)

So the "Top Case" for my "White" MacBook is chipping (on the palm rest) and I went in to get a replacement for it at the local Apple Store. (under warranty)

My problem arose when I thought it would be neat to have a "Black" Top Case instead of a "White" one (on my White MacBook) ... a unique request and according to 1.800.MY.APPLE - a FIRST! I was slightly shocked when it became increasingly clear how difficult Apple would make this, Stating that it was a "different part number" (!) and "their system can't handle" the Black and White part switch without ceasing the warranty(?!).
Exact same part (it fits exactly!) ... just a different "part #" and color (that's it, period). I was on the phone for a good hour (plus), I had everyone along the way (kinda) with me saying it really shouldn't be that difficult (!) ... but, ALAS they wont do it. I even offered to pay the difference in cost. (black plastic?!?!)

How high should/can I go with this simple request? (imho)

Please, anyone?, help me in my quest for this B&W "Harmonic" Vision

cheers,

Ash / Case #104779198
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I think it's more of a matter of principal. Warranties are designed as a remedy to protect against manufacturers defects. Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it. While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with - what if you changed your mind at some point in the future and decided you didn't like it? They need to worry about setting a precedent.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
UncleAsh

"Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it."
- Agreed. (but, a black one would fill their obligation AND make me happy) - not to mention all the press!(?)

"While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with"
- I hear you, but all I'm asking for is a black top case in a white MacBook. I'll pay the dif.

"what if you changed your mind at some point in the future?"
- Never, I swear.

"Decided you didn't like it?"
- I'll like it, I swear - I'll sign a contract.

thanx

This is surprisingly difficult for an "identical" part.
... maybe I should just settle for vanilla? (never)
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

there is a recent thread here of someone who just did this. they just bought a new one off amazon, or ebay or something. if it's not available with the warrenty, and you really want it black, suck it up and pay for it.

EDIT:here is that thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=713253
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAsh View Post
"Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it."
- Agreed. (but, a black one would fill their obligation AND make me happy) - not to mention all the press!(?)

"While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with"
- I hear you, but all I'm asking for is a black top case in a white MacBook. I'll pay the dif.

"what if you changed your mind at some point in the future?"
- Never, I swear.

"Decided you didn't like it?"
- I'll like it, I swear - I'll sign a contract.

thanx

This is surprisingly difficult for an "identical" part.
... maybe I should just settle for vanilla? (never)
My last sentence was the key there - they need to avoid setting a precedent.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
UncleAsh

Thanks for the link! That looks awesome - imho.

okay ... it's NOT going happen at the Mac Store.
(and not with Apple's blessing)

lets say I fund a "do-it-myself"?
... then they say the "warranty is void"!?
(because of "mismatched part #'s", not allowed by Apple)

once again, all because the COLOR is different.
(It just sounds funny - my friends that I tell this to are dumbfounded.)

Think Different indeed. I know, I know ... "precedent".

thanx
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

Kubus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

Just do it yourself. I did. I love it. Mine was also cracked. It wasnt difficult to do at all
QUOTE Thanks
UncleAsh

I love it too, just don't want them to void the warranty over it.

Let me PIMP my MacBook!:
http://www.ashandburn.com/main/?p=174
QUOTE Thanks
Zya8187

Zya8187 is on a distinguished road

If you want to Mod your macbook then you have to pay to play. I had my macbook for like 2 weeks before i did this. Whats so good about a warranty.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zya8187 View Post
If you want to Mod your macbook then you have to pay to play. I had my macbook for like 2 weeks before i did this. Whats so good about a warranty.
You'll be eating those words if you ever have to replace a logic board or display.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You'll be eating those words if you ever have to replace a logic board or display.

Regards.
You got that right. I had to have my Macbook's logic board replaced (for the audio out that had a fault at that) under Apple Care, and it would have been a $1200+ repair were it not for that (extended) warrantee.

Get it repaired under warrantee with the same part then when it expires do your mods. By then you should know what is going to fail or not, it won't matter anymore, and you'll get what you want in the looks department, along with a spare top case.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

what if you go to the apple store and buy it from apple then get a tech to put it on.. or are you saying they cant do that either?...

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
UncleAsh

i can't do that either.

Think Different
The more I think about this the funnier it gets. My friends can't believe this is even an issue. I sent off a postcard to Apple to plead my case - I can't believe how adamant they are about this. I keep getting reminded about the different part numbers and policy. If this was a car dealership (or other business) they would have done it the second I walked through the door.

I know, I know ... precedent

I even came up with a logo for this MacPanthers movement:

QUOTE Thanks
UncleAsh

... Should I let them win this battle?
This reminds me of a scene from the movie "Five Easy Pieces"
Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Apple.

The parties with whom you have previously communicated are empowered by Apple to address concerns such as yours. In each of your communications you have been provided with the same answer from Apple.

To summarize the response for your records, Apple has stated that a black top case cannot be used to replace the top case for a white MacBook. We suggest using an accessory compatible with MacBook if you would like to change the external appearance of your computer without voiding your Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty.

We regret that you are not satisfied with this final response, because Apple strives for customer satisfaction. It is our sincere hope that this situation will not diminish your enjoyment of the products and services that we provide.

Your concern has been documented in Apple case number 104779198.

Best regards,

Kristy
Apple Customer Care

"We suggest using an accessory compatible with MacBook"
I replied that a Black top case can be used and is compatible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MacPanthers.jpg (43.2 KB, 2 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

Ramacher is on a distinguished road

My topcase cracked about 3 months ago and i also asked them if they could replace it with a black one at the store. I talked to the 3 "genius"s that were there and they said they couldn't do it, and also talked to the manager and it was a no go.

now with my warranty over, and the top case cracking again, i'll probably do it myself, but why are they so darn expensive for a piece of plastic?!?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook freefall sensor control | Macbook wont turn on »