New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Help- looking for a used laptop- best types/ best resellers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

f1ourish

f1ourish is on a distinguished road

So I've been wanting to make the switch from PC to Mac for awhile now, but am on a tight budget. I currently own a HP TX1000, and while it's decent enough, it doesn't seem very sturdy or long-lasting to me, and I hate Vista (unfortunately, I discovered that after I got the HP).

My plan is to sell the HP and use those funds to get a good cheap Mac laptop of some sort (and hopefully if I'm lucky have a bit left over), but after reading about all the different types of laptops, I'm stuck on what to get. I like the Pismo for its expandability and ease of access for upgrading/fixing parts (and the price of course), but the fact that it's nearly 9 years old makes me kinda leery of buying one.

The iBook and powerbooks sound good too, but I've yet to read anything that says how good their longevity is. I'd like a system that's good enough to check email, download music, surf the web, and do homework on (word processing). Nothing really complex or labor intensive. I'd like to keep it under 600, though the cheaper the better. I'm totally cool getting a basic one for 150-300 and then upgrading it as I go along. I'm fine getting an older laptop as long as it will hold up for atleast another year or so- I don't want it to die on me right after I get it.

Also, what sellers would you guys recommend? I'd love to find an authorized Apple reseller but other 3rd party companies are fine too provided they have good service and products.

Finally, sorry if these are stupid questions...I'm a noob at all this
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

I have owned quite a few mac laptops. From a powerbook 170 to an iBook. My recommendation is this:

- Avoid ALL White iBook G3s. Too many motherboard problems. The weird blue/orange 233/333 models are ok but funky looking. Not good for OS X.
- iBook G4s are better the faster the processor is (they run up to 1.33ghz).
- Older powerbook G4s like the 400/500mhz had screen hinge issues but were fine for reliability. The newer models were fine.
- Pismo is nice but a good working one with a functioning battery may be difficult to find.
- Lombard (my current mac) is nice but lacks the expansion ability of the Pismo. The DVD player does not work in OS X either.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

i currently own an iBook G3 white model that is completely fine. if you can find one for less than 160 with the battery and ac adapter, and for less than 100 without the ac adapter i would say go for it ( i got mine for 74 on eBay, without the ac adapter and battery, and love it). thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Thats not too bad if you get one that is working and better for that price. I was just stating that they are known to be flaky.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need some serious help restarting my whole computer PLEASE HELP!! : ) | cracked case? »