Specs:
    Mac mini g4 1.5ghz, powerbook g4 1.5ghz aluminum, iphone 8gig, ipod 30 and 4 gig
    Hot Powerbook G4
    I have a Powerbook G4 and after about 30min or so it gets really hot in the back of the machine...is there a way to cool it off or should i not worry about it.

thanks

Specs:
    PB ti
    i just got a cooling pad off ebay.

Specs:
    933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
    Get a cooling pad, and keep it off of your legs as much as possible. I remember my powerbook leaving my legs quite red after using it for a couple of hours.
    Yes my name is Jaguar.
    No, it is not a joke.
    I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.

Specs:
    MacBook White 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa
    may i know your powerbook spec ?? but as i know the powerbook series has a lot of power , thats why if you using your powerbook in a long time , your powerbook will be too hot....specially in the palm rest....because a casing of powerbook is made of alumunium , defferent with iBook or macbook....i think don't worry about that....it's a normal.....

If you need something to lighten the air while you wait for it to cool off you might browse thru these:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...&highlight=101

Try this great software!
    G4FanControl
    Works like a charm with Leopard on my 15" 1.25 PB!

Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by zoobum View Post
    I have a Powerbook G4 and after about 30min or so it gets really hot in the back of the machine...is there a way to cool it off or should i not worry about it.
    Is it burning a part of your body or are you just concerned that the computer might fry itself? If it's the latter then don't worry about it unless you are blocking the vent areas or if your fans are not working. Your computer can handle more heat than a human can. If the heat is causing discomfort then get a cooling pad, use a fan control application to blast the fans, or do both.

One of the things I like about the new MBPs is that it runs a lot cooler than my old PowerBook Titanium. The only time it gets really hot is when I play games but even then it's not as hot as my PowerBook at it's hottest. It seems that Apple thought about the heat comfort when they created the new notebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Mac View Post
    may i know your powerbook spec ?? but as i know the powerbook series has a lot of power , thats why if you using your powerbook in a long time , your powerbook will be too hot....specially in the palm rest....because a casing of powerbook is made of alumunium , defferent with iBook or macbook....i think don't worry about that....it's a normal.....
    The original line of Powerbook g4's were mainly comprised of Titanium not aluminum, those came after and ran for a short time.

Is it a ti-book or aluminum?

Either way try a cooling pad for it to rest on, or consider a replacement display as they are fairly cheap these days depending on your model.

I used to let my titanium powerbook run for weeks at a time and it never really got as hot as you describe, but they are an older notebook and the displays and logic boards run the risk of overheating these days.

Thread Information