New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - need some serious help restarting my whole computer PLEASE HELP!! : )

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kayallday

kayallday is on a distinguished road

i have my memory almost full and would like to restart my computer to the factory settings. i would like to lose all my information and just start completely over. i don't have my original CD's that came with my macbook, but i do have my friends. PLEASE HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Short answer..... you need a backup that you've taken previously or a Mac OSX install disc appropriate for your Mac

Why not just delete some files?
QUOTE Thanks
kayallday

i dont want to go through ALL of my files, and then keep doing that over and over and over again when i keep running out of room. i rather just delete the whole thing and back up just my important files.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

this seems like a back asswards way to do things
QUOTE Thanks
kayallday

help??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you have an external hard drive that you can use for backing up those files you wish to keep?

As you've already been advised, you need the disk set for your machine if you wish to re-install the OS. If you've lost them or misplaced them, order another set from Apple customer service.

Also, if you keep running out of hard drive space (not memory) the cure is to purchase a larger hard drive for your machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kayallday

so i can't use my friends CD's to re-install it?? i have to use the ones at the apple customer service??
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayallday View Post
so i can't use my friends CD's to re-install it?? i have to use the ones at the apple customer service??
You can not use restore CDs from other computers. You have to use the ones that came with your Mac.

If you lost those you will have to get replacements from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
kayallday

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

wow, you are going about this completly wrong in my opinion. now i know that you just want to erase your hard drive and start over, but i think you should get an external drive to easily back up your nonessential stuff so the built in drive on your computer will have space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Painting White MacBook? | Help- looking for a used laptop- best types/ best resellers? »