New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I am a memory idiot, please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

I am in the process of decideing on my new apple purchase. I am a memory moron. I am purchasing an ibook superdrive 14in, bluetooth, isight, etc..... My question is this, when setting up my order on the apple website, it asks if you want to upgrade the memory, the choices being 256, 512, 768 or 1.256. So I have a few questons about this. I know nothing about the internal working of comps. i can run apps, do design and all that good stuff but when opening it up or talking about ghz or memory or ddr, ram all that stuff I know less than nothing. So, what memory shuld I go for on an ibook. Is there really a huge difference in lag time and all between 256mb and 512, or between 512 and 768? Should I order my memory from another supplier, and if so who? How hard is it to install memory? Does it void my warranty? Or shuld I just have apple install the memory? Do I really need 1.256mb of memory or is 256 or 512 or 768 enough for a moderate home user. I am not running half-life or anything like that, just an average to above average home user and light gamer. So what memory should I go for? Or should I just get the powerbook, lol? Thanks in advance for all your questions. I am previous mac-owner and have always had great help from this site, so thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

It is fairly easy to install memory yourself, PLUS if you get it from a 3rd party supplier you can save quite a bit...

BEWARE! RAM isn't equal RAM - the quality can vary from one supplier to the next, recomended are: Crucial.com, Other world computing (owc.com) and others that you can find with the search feature (search the forums for iBook ram recommendations)

For normal use get around 256-512 extra (512-768 total)

For heavy use get the extra 1GB.

Easiest way to find the correct memory for your 'book is to use crucial.com to select it using their 'memory locater'.

That will show you the specs you need.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

well tomorrow morning I am ordering my ibook. I am curious about factory installed ram recommendations. I want this thing to be ready to go out of the box. So how much ram should I go for? I dont want to have to worry about upgrading the ram right away as I am pretty good with software, but a hardware idiot. So should I have it sent to me with 256mb, 512mb or 768mb of ram factory installed? The 1.256 seems a little pricey. Any suggestions? Comments? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know if it matters but I am ordering the 80gb hd, bluetooth, combo-drive, isight. please help, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Get it with 256MB already built-in. Then order 512MB from somewhere like Crucial.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I would also strongly recommend installing the RAM yourself.

You say you're a hardware idiot? Can you change a lightbulb? Well then you can add extra RAM...it really is simple.

You only need to remove 4 tiny screws later in the process (just need a small screwdriver) and the rest is just pushing latches...

You can save yourself quite a bit...just order it from crucial.com at the same time as you order your iBook and you'll have it working quickly..
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Well ordered the ibook this morning, I got it with only 256mb of ram and ordered 512 from crucial, so we will see how it goes, lol Thanks for everyones help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« general slowdown | Memory slots »