New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Modded my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kubus

Kubus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

So, I have a 13 inch white MacBook. I threw it through a wall and it sustained some minor damage. The edge of the keyboard started to fall off. I guess thats expected that when you do something stupid like that, the computer will break.

So anyways. My white MacBook would constantly be dirty since I would have dirty hands from tinkering with my car etc and it would be a pain to keep the palmrests and keys clean. I would spend a lot of time wiping the computer down with different cleaners and it got pretty annoying after a while.

I got tired of the dirt and the breaking so I ordered a new keyboard but I ordered the one off of a black MacBook and so far Im pretty happy with the way it turned out. I guess its not a look everyone will appreciate but so far I like it and it will be easier to maintain.

I got the keyboard for 49.99 off of eBay with 10 dollar shipping to my door in Evanston. Got here in two days. I couldnt be more impressed.

I was really happy with the way the computer had turned out at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

However, after using it for a few days I decided I wanted to replace the screen bezel as well to tie the look together. Yesterday my bezel came in and I installed it.

This is my reverse oreo. I hope you guys liked it.
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

cool mod, I definitely like the look of that thing.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
Zya8187

Zya8187 is on a distinguished road

Nice man. After looking at the first post i said to myself it would look better with the black bezel, then I read on. haha

Question about the bezel man, How hard of a time did you have putting it on ? Did you have to press VERY hard on the clips ? Any tips you will give me to put mine back on. I did some other stuff that involved taking it off and I can't get it back on.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hey, now it looks like the white iPhone 3G!!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zya8187 View Post
Nice man. After looking at the first post i said to myself it would look better with the black bezel, then I read on. haha

Question about the bezel man, How hard of a time did you have putting it on ? Did you have to press VERY hard on the clips ? Any tips you will give me to put mine back on. I did some other stuff that involved taking it off and I can't get it back on.
It wasnt bad at all. Some of the little "retainer" pieces stick to the original bezel and you have to take them off of the original tabs and put them back in the screen and then snap the new bezel on. It took me two tries to get it on right. What I learned is that you have to get the top and the bottom in first and then the sides. The bottom is more tricky than the top. You have to wiggle it around a bit on the top and bottom for it to "catch". If you dont understand what Im saying, I can maybe try and rephrase it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Hey, now it looks like the white iPhone 3G!!
I have one of those too They match now
QUOTE Thanks
Zeels90

Zeels90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)

Awesome, thanks for the pics too. It looks really good.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

this is an awesome idea, and when i get some spare $, i may have to attempt this myself
QUOTE Thanks
jamezh10

jamezh10 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MAC BOOK 13in

you what seller on ebay did you buy that off?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Looks nice. My only question is, how did it get thrown through a wall?

And why?
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

Keyboard - pacificmacs

Bezel - falconprince
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Looks nice. My only question is, how did it get thrown through a wall?

And why?
I was angry. First thing I picked up lol

Same day I bought my shiny new iPhone 3G. Thank God that wasnt the first thing I picked up... It wouldnt have been as easy to fix
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Wow it looks great. You can really see where you rest your hands on the old one it's kind of funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Kubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Wow it looks great. You can really see where you rest your hands on the old one it's kind of funny.
Yeah. It was ******. There was no cleaner that I could find that would clean that off. Drove me nuts
QUOTE Thanks
thetruth

thetruth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD

Wow, it turned out really good. Nice job.

Loving OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do your keys do this? | should i wait or get now? »