New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

getting a hard case for mac book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hayesburrow

hayesburrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5 ghz, 4gb, 250 gb Penryn 15.4 " MBP

i have been looking around at Macbook hardcases and i was wondering which is better The Incase or Speck one cause those seem to be the leading ones. Also if there are any i don't know about please let me know. Also are the ebay cases any good ??? thats probably my most important question.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Why do you need a hardcase?
QUOTE Thanks
MrMathematical

MrMathematical is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2 GHZ, Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Internal HD, 500GB External

I baught a 'Speck Products' red case about 2 month ago and i have to say its great, fits perfect.

Ive had a few Macbook cases and this has to be by far the best one i've had, it had access to all the ports etc..

Go for the Speck one.

Michael
xx
QUOTE Thanks
hayesburrow

hayesburrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5 ghz, 4gb, 250 gb Penryn 15.4 " MBP

to protect my investment ??
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesburrow View Post
to protect my investment ??
I generally don't like the hardcases. It makes it look bulky and ugly. That's just me though. Plus it doesn't exactly do anything besides keep it from getting scratched or maybe dented. Doesn't do a thing if you drop it, so I wouldn't buy a hardcase.

I recommend this product, you can find it for cheaper on Amazon but they are having a sale so it kind of evens out.
QUOTE Thanks
Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

I have the Incase one and I like it. But it does look like the Spec has a bit more venting. They are basically the same...
QUOTE Thanks
TheTrueMoron

TheTrueMoron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz

I have the Speck shell and it's great. My friend has the Incase shell and it's maybe a little less than 1mm thicker than the Speck shell. The only thing the shells really do is protect from scratches, so I would go with the Speck. 2mm of height difference isn't much, but you never know when you'll need it. I have a carrying case and if I had the Incase cover, my MBP would be just a hair too wide to fit in it...
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I generally don't like the hardcases. It makes it look bulky and ugly. That's just me though. Plus it doesn't exactly do anything besides keep it from getting scratched or maybe dented. Doesn't do a thing if you drop it, so I wouldn't buy a hardcase.

I recommend this product, you can find it for cheaper on Amazon but they are having a sale so it kind of evens out.

I agree I bought one and stopped using it.Plus I noticed it made my Macbook much hotter.
QUOTE Thanks
clamsjager

clamsjager is on a distinguished road

i just got the zagg cover, its a BEAR to get on and line up right, i should have bought 2 sets, i need to order a new one, i sorta gave up and threw it out after 3 hours of only being able to line up the battery cover part.

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.4, 200gb, 4gb, 256mb.
Custom gaming rig built by yours truely
2008 subaru WRX, not so stock.
QUOTE Thanks
AbbyBee

AbbyBee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamsjager View Post
i just got the zagg cover, its a BEAR to get on and line up right, i should have bought 2 sets, i need to order a new one, i sorta gave up and threw it out after 3 hours of only being able to line up the battery cover part.
I was watching videos on how to install the shield, and they say with enough liquid on the plastic you can move it around and into place as much as you need to.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyBee View Post
I was watching videos on how to install the shield, and they say with enough liquid on the plastic you can move it around and into place as much as you need to.
Yes using water is needed. Your hands have to be somewhat wet as well. Clean surface helps. I had to have towels placed over the keyboard and around the vents and stuff. I got it on in one try, took almost half an hour to get everything perfect with very little air pockets/bubbles. They seem to disappear on their own though.
QUOTE Thanks
AbbyBee

AbbyBee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Yes using water is needed. Your hands have to be somewhat wet as well. Clean surface helps. I had to have towels placed over the keyboard and around the vents and stuff. I got it on in one try, took almost half an hour to get everything perfect with very little air pockets/bubbles. They seem to disappear on their own though.
How do you like the shield? Does it drastically change the way your Mac looks?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyBee View Post
How do you like the shield? Does it drastically change the way your Mac looks?
You can barely tell it's there it's practically invisible. It has a nice texture that makes it easier to grip as well. I'd say it's worth every penny.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

I've got a clear speck case I'll sell you if you're interested. I used it for about 2 months on my Black MacBook and then bought an Invisible Shield instead.

PM if interested and make me an offer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with Keyboard Not Working | Upgrading Disk Drive »