Thread: New Macbook Pro

New Macbook Pro
    So I just bought a 15 inch matte Macbook Pro... I'm currently using a PC... How do I transfer my files from the PC to the mac? How do I transfer my itunes stuff? What other things should I do/install on a new Macbook Pro?

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Oistrakh View Post
    So I just bought a 15 inch matte Macbook Pro... I'm currently using a PC... How do I transfer my files from the PC to the mac? How do I transfer my itunes stuff? What other things should I do/install on a new Macbook Pro?
    If it's just files I'd share em on the pc and then use smb to access them

some thing like this

finder>go>connect to server then enter smb://ip address of winblows system/sharename

see example below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shad
    Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills
    08 MB, 08 MBP, 010 MBP, 010 Imac, 011 MBP

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Is it just me or do people think Macs are so kind of foreign entity that is so different from a PC?

You transfer files like you normally would, look for where your MP3 files are stored and put it on a Thumb drive, external HDD or some other storage device and plug that into the MBP and drag them into a folder.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Is it just me or do people think Macs are so kind of foreign entity that is so different from a PC?

You transfer files like you normally would, look for where your MP3 files are stored and put it on a Thumb drive, external HDD or some other storage device and plug that into the MBP and drag them into a folder.
    So let's say you have 4o gigs or so of files, you got a thumbdrive that big?

Why did they invent networking anyway
    Shad
    Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills
    08 MB, 08 MBP, 010 MBP, 010 Imac, 011 MBP

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Transferring files is best done with an external USB 2.0 or Firewire drive. As long as the external is formatted to FAT-32 your Mac can read and write to it. You can also use a flash drive although if you have large amounts of data, that may not be very convenient. Transferring very large files (greater than around 4 Gb) such as videos might be a problem as FAT-32 is limited to a single file size of ~4 Gb. NTFS has no file size limit but your Mac can only read from NTFS and would need a third party driver to write.

As far as iTunes is concerned you can transfer your music and\or videos in the same way, however, you may have to re-authorize them to play on the Mac.

Other things to install on your new MBP? Just keep reading this forum to get ideas. I could name a dozen or more things but that would be only my personal opinion. Take it slow and have fun.

Regards.

I don't know a way to do it through a network but I know there is. If you've got money to spare you can put it on an external hard drive, than you have backups of everything plus you can transfer it over to your mac.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post

well, I don't know how to transfer files between PC and PC either, so...

Thread Information