New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - is there a way to slow a mbp down to mb speeds?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

i have no complaints about my battery life in most situations but sometimes in a full day of school i cant get to a power outlet and my battery cant last all day.

was just wondering if u could make the mbp run like a macbook temporarily for days like that?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

There's a number of things you can do. Reduce the display brightness as low as you can stand it, turn off Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi (if you don't need it). Adjust the performance level in System Preferences => Energy Saver. Keep discs out of your optical drive so that the motor never needs to spin them up.

All of these little tweaks can yield greatly increased battery life.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

if your budget allows it, get another battery (~$120)!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

well id rather not carry another battery with me my bag is always full as it is.. unless thers a battery with better life i could buy
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
well id rather not carry another battery with me my bag is always full as it is.. unless thers a battery with better life i could buy
There is an extended life battery available, but it's advantage is only slight (a few minutes). The best thing you could do would be to be mindful of the things that you can control that tend to be heavy in terms of power consumption.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
i have no complaints about my battery life in most situations but sometimes in a full day of school i cant get to a power outlet and my battery cant last all day.

was just wondering if u could make the mbp run like a macbook temporarily for days like that?
Just reading the title, I thought wow thats a first, someone wanting a slower computer. But I see now, Basically lower the brightness as far as possible, turn off Wifi if not needed, Turn off bluetooth. Thats basically the only major things you can do.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built in iSight Camera "stuck"?? | iBook Workstation... »