New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Needs PMU reset to boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

I saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerBook-...=1218790829164
It says:
"This is an Apple PowerBook G4 15" running at 500 Ghz. The computer is used and does not work fully. Needs PMU reset to boot. Has 512 Megabytes of memory, 20 Gigabyte hard drive, Apple DVD-rom drive, and has a battery but may need to be replaced. Scratches and marks on the case from use. This is sold as a parts machine, and as such, it is sold AS IS."

I have NEVER heard of a PMU reset to be needed to boot a computer up. What do you guys think is wrong with this?

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
EggrollShop

EggrollShop is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini

Hmm I actually was looking at that Powerbook as well and was wondering whether I should purchase it or not. I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything but what exactly does PMU stand for? I'm new to the forums and also to Macs so please don't get angry at me that I do not know what a PMU is.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

PMU: power management unit.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

Don't know what it's supposed to mean that it needs it to boot. Every time? Sounds like logic/mother board failure. Or it might just need a PMU reset?

And EggrollShop, no one around here should or will get angry with you because you don't know something. If they do, they're a jerk and will be dealt with.
QUOTE Thanks
EggrollShop

EggrollShop is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini

Thanks Jaguar! I just put that in my post because on other forums I get flamed for asking questions. I'm glad to hear that no one will be angry at me for asking questions and being new. Thank you again!!!! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Haha it's fine eggroll, I don't want the laptop anyways...I was just looking at powerbooks on ebay because I was bored. But if dadsgravy is right about the logic board, it's not that hard to replace if you have patience.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office = Firestarter? | Questions about apple logic board repairs for power book. »