Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Stupid Mistake trying to re-apply thermal paste
    Like many owners of Macbook Pro notebooks, the issue of heat reduction is a high priority. I looked into it, trying out software for fan control and cooling pads; but then i learned about apples horrendous application of thermal paste on the CPU and thermal tubes. I looked through the ifixit's instructions on disassembling the Macbook pro, it seemed simple enough...until i reached the torx 6 screws. I don't currently own a set of torx screw drivers, but i figured i could still remove them with the screw driver i used to remove the outside philips screws. Unfortunately, the screw driver wasnt quite the right fit; long story short, I ended up strippng two torx screws basically to just a round hole. I know, I know, I'm and idiot. I got anxious and got ahead of myself, and now im kicking myself because of it.

Anyway, I question is: Is there a safe way to remove these stripped screws?

Is there an equivalent to a normal sized screw-extractor? Like a micro-screw-extractor?

For a moment, a VERY short moment, I thought about finding a way to carefully file down a slot through the middle of the head, then using a flat head screw driver to remove it. Would this be incredibly stupid of me, seeing as there's the obvious risk of destroying fragile circuitry?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
    How hot is it getting? It may not be as hot as you think. These notbooks have very fast processors that get pretty hot. Its not uncommon for mine to get to 170-180 degrees when i have a few apps running and even hotter when i'm encoding video or editing large photos in Photoshop.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by DispatchJack View Post
    Like many owners of Macbook Pro notebooks, the issue of heat reduction is a high priority. I looked into it, trying out software for fan control and cooling pads; but then i learned about apples horrendous application of thermal paste on the CPU and thermal tubes. I looked through the ifixit's instructions on disassembling the Macbook pro, it seemed simple enough...until i reached the torx 6 screws. I don't currently own a set of torx screw drivers, but i figured i could still remove them with the screw driver i used to remove the outside philips screws. Unfortunately, the screw driver wasnt quite the right fit; long story short, I ended up strippng two torx screws basically to just a round hole. I know, I know, I'm and idiot. I got anxious and got ahead of myself, and now im kicking myself because of it.

Anyway, I question is: Is there a safe way to remove these stripped screws?

Is there an equivalent to a normal sized screw-extractor? Like a micro-screw-extractor?

For a moment, a VERY short moment, I thought about finding a way to carefully file down a slot through the middle of the head, then using a flat head screw driver to remove it. Would this be incredibly stupid of me, seeing as there's the obvious risk of destroying fragile circuitry?
    I would pick up a set of micro screw drivers, Radio Shack sells them (link). Costco in my area also carries a screw driver set that contains the needed bits. I'm not sure to what extent they're stripped, but you might be surprised to find that they come out easily with the correct bit even if they appear to be stripped. I'm not familiar with any product that has a small enough bit to extract a stripped screw that's that tiny. Your only recourse would probably be to take a Dremel tool to it and drill it out with a very tiny bit - of course, that might do more damage to the threaded hole than it's worth.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Macbook 2.4 GHz iPhone 8GB iPod video 60GB iPod Nano 4GB
    I'd go down the dremel route but instead of trying to drill it out i would use a fine cutting disk and score the head of the screw so you can get a flat bladed screwdriver on it that should work, good luck hope you get it sorted

Wcs
    worst case would need to be drilled and removed with an easy out.

Thread Information