New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Microsoft Office = Firestarter?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RSum

RSum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13.3 White - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD

Hey all,

it's been 2 days since I've had my awesome and lovely macbook and I freakin' love it so much! It's like my baby hahaha. But yeah so today I was installing a bunch of stuff and downloading music... when I was installing Microsoft Office my computer fans were pretty loud and my laptop was really starting to get really really hot. Is that normal? usually my fan exhaust is like 1800 area... but when it was finishing the install the fan exhaust was like 6200 i was like... WOW what the heck? and bottom of the laptop was pretty hot... not the battery but the opposite side of the battery (maybe the harddrive?) well all in all, is that normal...

PS I hate microsoft but I need it for my school and projects and stuff cause my other classmates have pcs (d'oh!)

Proud Macbook owner since August 12th, 2008.
Macbook 2.4 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD, SuperDrive
Apple iPhone 3G 16 GB
iPod Shuffle 1 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

RSum,

It could have been your Mac going through some maintenance scripts. It can get wound up when it does that.

It usually does that after it wakes from sleep in the morning after you open it up for the day, but I've had that happen in the middle of the day sometimes... That does sound like the hard drive spinning and causing heat.

If it does that every time you open an Office app, then I'd begin to wonder...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
clamsjager

clamsjager is on a distinguished road

why not get Iwork 08, it can import and export every type of office document. thats what im doing till school gets office 08 for macs at the pimping price of $15...

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.4, 200gb, 4gb, 256mb.
Custom gaming rig built by yours truely
2008 subaru WRX, not so stock.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamsjager View Post
thats what im doing till school gets office 08 for macs at the pimping price of $15...
that is certainly pimping.... wanna sell me a copy.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
badphish

badphish is on a distinguished road

I wish MS would port OneNote to MAC i cant find a decent replacement for it and I use it everyday for everything i love onenote so much i almost didnt buy a macbook because MAC office doesnt come with it. so i have to run VMfusion to use onenote on my mac not very fun but a workaround for now. pls bring onenote to the MAC MS.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badphish View Post
I wish MS would port OneNote to MAC i cant find a decent replacement for it and I use it everyday for everything i love onenote so much i almost didnt buy a macbook because MAC office doesnt come with it. so i have to run VMfusion to use onenote on my mac not very fun but a workaround for now. pls bring onenote to the MAC MS.
badphish,

You could get One Note by installing Windows on your Mac... easiest way is to install a VM like Parallels and then import your copy of Windows. Then you could install the Home 7 Student version of Office 2007 with One Note.

Costs a little for the VM (maybe for $70) and the copy of Windows ($84 for XP from Newegg), but if you like One Note that much, it would work that way...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's an application called Evernote for the Mac that you can download here. It seems pretty similar to OneNote.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac book Pro 15" 2.16GHZ Core Duo Ram | Needs PMU reset to boot? »