New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New macbook rumors worth the wait or not?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ShaneR

ShaneR is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm looking at buying a Macbook (blackbook) this weekend. However, all I read are all these rumors about how the new notebooks will be out within the next couple months for the last couple months. All these speculations have me wanting to wait to buy the "yet-to-be-released" book, yet I feel as if the current macbook would be the best bet. With the $100 rebate and free ipod touch for students its hard wait until the nwe books come out after that offer is over. Also, the new books may have bugs and gliches)as every new product), and the current version being the most reliable and such.

There isn't even much speculation of what is to be done to the macbooks either. This is killing me, opinions anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Read all the other threads about this. Nobody knows anything at all about time, changes, etc, so it's all up to you really.
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

if you need it now, buy it now. If oyu can wait, then wait...The current macbook will work just as well once the new ones come out. With tech, of your always going to wait 'for the next big thing', you will wait forever! Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
if you need it now, buy it now. If oyu can wait, then wait...The current macbook will work just as well once the new ones come out. With tech, of your always going to wait 'for the next big thing', you will wait forever! Good luck!
That sounded familiar

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

haha I remember you saying that when i first registered here, and it stuck with me.... I should have sighted my source!
QUOTE Thanks
brandt77

brandt77 is on a distinguished road

i would personally wait.
The student discoutn will always be there.
as for the free ipod, i could be wrong, but to me it seems like they are doing that to get rid of there macs (mostly the notebooks, which are very iffy right now) as of now. so you will get a free ipod touch, but possibly a faulty machine down the road.
you are going to want to wait, somebody did say that if your waiting for something better, you will wait you whole life. that is very true.
but at this point, its like waiting for something good, as opposed to just going through with what could (and from what i have been reading, would) be a faulty mac.
i'm waiting for mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'm not certain that the notebooks are 'iffy'. While it's true there are complaints on the Internet, you will never find someone post about how great their faultless product is. FWIW I've seen truly faulty products, and the amount of complaint is far, far in excess of the current complaints regarding macbooks. BTW, free iPods is also a great way to get rid of iPods before an update.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
tmolitor

tmolitor is on a distinguished road

I am in a similar situation. I really actually want to buy the Macbook (blackbook) also, but the reason I am interested in the new Macbook coming out is that I think it will drive down the cost of an already proven machine, which just makes it all the more attractive to me. I already have an iPod and a printer and an iPod, so the discount doesn't factor in so much for me. Also, all I have heard as far as the new Macbook being different is in regards to its case, which is now apparently supposed to be the brushed aluminum housing like the Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
badphish

badphish is on a distinguished road

I just recently bought a Macbook (white) 2.4 after my 17 inch HP desktop replacement laptop was stolen from work. I finally decided to return to Apple after 22 yrs. PCs be ****ed. I still have a gateway desktop to be replaced by a 24inch imac by xmas i hope. the 13.3 macbook is perfect for my current needs i'm in an ambulance every 3rd day for the greater part of the day and need something small and light to do my online course work on. i luv my mc and am sorry i ever left apple. i have rebooted maybe 5 times in 3 weeks compared to every few days on the gateway (vista) 3 of those reboot were just because. not needed for any real reason.

if you want a macbook buy a macbook why wait? i doubt that any changes will leave you mad with the current lineup. i dont see my new macbook as flawed or buggy or whatever else negative has been said in this thread. but then again my othe machine is running vista.

peace out

brett
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandt77 View Post
i would personally wait.
The student discoutn will always be there.
as for the free ipod, i could be wrong, but to me it seems like they are doing that to get rid of there macs (mostly the notebooks, which are very iffy right now) as of now. so you will get a free ipod touch, but possibly a faulty machine down the road.
you are going to want to wait, somebody did say that if your waiting for something better, you will wait you whole life. that is very true.
but at this point, its like waiting for something good, as opposed to just going through with what could (and from what i have been reading, would) be a faulty mac.
i'm waiting for mine.
No, Apple gives away iPods with Macs every year during the back to school season. It's not because of some desire to clear out "faulty" stock. It is very likely that your Mac will have no major faults if you get it now. If there is some defect in the current lineup, it obviously is not affecting absolutely every machine, and therefore Apple would replace it if there was a problem.

As to the alleged new case designs, I wouldn't hold my breath. Every MacBook refresh for the past year or so has been speculated to include new case designs, and it hasn't happened. In addition, the price of the machines is not likely to be reduced either, as Apple's price points are relatively unmoving. My advice is, as it always is, to buy the machine now if you need it now. Plus, if you do it now, you get an iPod from the deal, regardless if you already have one.
QUOTE Thanks
manj

manj is on a distinguished road

i spoke to my friend who is a manager at apple and he told me there isn't gonna be much to the new ones rather then something about a touch screen panel or something on those lines other then that its just a regular laptop.

so i bought the black macbook as his recomendation
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by manj View Post
i spoke to my friend who is a manager at apple and he told me there isn't gonna be much to the new ones rather then something about a touch screen panel or something on those lines other then that its just a regular laptop.

so i bought the black macbook as his recomendation
Yeah we kind of figured it would be along the lines of a regular notebook..we weren't like expecting a holographic projection of the OSX desktop with a keyboard >_>"

I just want them to upgrade the graphic card at the very least. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook Workstation... | Will my macbook be safe? »