New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - LED Screen Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

troverman

troverman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 09 MacBook Pro 15 2.8ghz, 512MB nVidia, 7200RPM HD

I just bought a MBP from BestBuy, 2.4ghz model. I am a first time Mac user, switching from a Toshiba notebook with Vista. (my job is in IT dept of a company on Windows). I want to verify my screen is backlit by LED, not CCFL. How can I tell? It is the 15" model, S/N W88305CEYJX.

My Toshiba is a few years old now, and is CCFL backlit. The screen used to be much brighter--I assume LED never loses brightness over time as a fluorescent light will?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can check your model number\SN on the Apple site to verify that it has an LED backlight. I believe it does.

As far as LED versus CCFL goes, both will degrade in brightness over time. The difference, however, with a LED backlight is that it uses much less power and has a significantly longer life than CCFL. By the time your LED backlight is noticeably dimmer, you'll be long overdue for a new machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

You definitely have an LED backlight...

You don't have to worry about checking

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Yes its an LED don't worry. Crank up the brightness and that should clearly tell you that as well.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

The easier way for me to tell is by adjusting the brightness and carefully watching it. The LED lit displays have a much notchier increment (if that makes any sense) whereas the cathode based units are smoother when being turned up and down.

Based on your post, I can almost guarantee you have an LED based display.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook makes weird noises | ibook g3 logic board power problem »