New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Performance comparison 2.1ghz vs 2.4ghz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'm gonna be getting a Macbook soon. I'm wondering if there's a huge performance boost between the 2 cpus.

The seller for me will probably be the superdrive though. While I don't remember the last time i've used my DVD+R, it'd be a shame to have to do backups on regular CDs.

Unless, are there some nice external DVD+R out there?

I plan on upgrading the HD+RAM anyway, so at this point i'm just wondering on the superdrive and CPU
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It really depends on what you use the computer for. For the basic stuff (web browsing, email, office apps, etc), there will likely be very little noticeable difference. If on the other hand, you're doing very intensive tasks like rendering, encoding, etc, the extra few seconds you pick up by having a faster processor might be worth it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dsnj201

dsnj201 is on a distinguished road

I can't say I am talking from experience on a 2.1 to a 2.4 on a mac but on PC, yes, I've noticed a huge difference. I find that the entire mac line seems to run speedy except for the mac mini so you may not notice the difference in an in-store comparison. But once you get down to working on the power-hungry applications, I am sure you will see a big difference.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

The occasional photoshop editing will be the most intensive use. ALong with iTunes probably.

But other than that, it'll be web/office apps/watching DVDs in the train)
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

In that case you won't notice the difference in day to day usage, and you will save yourself some cash

you might want to check out the refurb apple store, good as new, full guarantee, there should be a few 2.1s on there and you may save even more to spend on RAM
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

I'm getting a (small) discount if I buy from my contact at work, so I think i'd prefer new. It's my first one, so i'm a little hesitant to go with refurb

Are the refurbs offered only on the Apple Website, or in some stores also?
QUOTE Thanks
lespf

lespf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz, 4GB Blackbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
I'm getting a (small) discount if I buy from my contact at work, so I think i'd prefer new. It's my first one, so i'm a little hesitant to go with refurb

Are the refurbs offered only on the Apple Website, or in some stores also?
I ordered mine through apple direct (online service) and got my 2.4ghz blackbook to my door in 5 days good as new.. minus the fancy packaging found when bought new. Saved myself $200 and couldnt be more happy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G4 Screen issue | World of warcraft? charged? or battery power? »