Thread: Whyyy!?!?!

i thought i had everything figured out.
    my paycheck comes tomarrow, and i get the MacBook Pro they are showing on macmall. (unopened 2007 model, 2.2Ghz)
    so i start reading the cons about it, and this video card issue is serious buisness. i am planning on video editing so it WILL be running hot, and everybody gives them 2-3 years running it normally.
    what should i do?
    my brain hurts.

Reno, NV
    27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
    Lesson learned. Do your homework next time.

what are you talking about? 2-3 years for a macbook pro?

if that's true i dunno if i'll ever buy apple again.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    It's too early to make any judgements on the NVIDIA defect. As far as I know, there has never been a single reported failure of the 8600M GPU in an Apple product (correct me if I'm wrong). Also note, that this is not an Apple-specific problem, it reportedly effects all NVIDIA 8400 and 8600 GPUs, regardless of the make or model of machine its installed in.

I've been using my MacBook Pro continuously since I bought it in February of this year - I've spent countless hours playing games on it and never had a problem with the GPU overheating. Although Apple hasn't made any official announcements as to how it intends to remedy any related issues, I would expect them to either extend the standard warranty or remedy the issue with a software patch.

As far as the OP's concern - video editing is not a GPU intensive task. I wouldn't be concerned about the strains it imposes on the system aggravating the potential defect.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information