New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - PowerBook G3 Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Hello everyone. I recently got a PowerBook G4 867Mhz from a friend to tune up and get running again. The machine sat for almost 2 years since last use. I did a clean erase and install of 10.4 on the machine. The computer now takes almost 25 minutes to go from power up to being able to be used. I have done all the updates and still nothing. There is also nothing in the startup items. The machine was acting the same way before I did the erase and install so I figured a clean install would fix it up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I dont know what to do. I have even taken out the aftermarket RAM and tried to restart and the same result.

QUOTE Thanks
hitmancs3255

hitmancs3255 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHZ 2gig RAM - 80GIG HDD - Bluetooh - Airport -MAC OSX 10.5

Hmm try using a older OSX panther or somthing...10.4 does require allot more power to run...

Try using Onyx, its a program to change the order and if or not you want certain programs booting up at the start up

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Hope i was of some help

Can you love Windows and Mac
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrman22 View Post
Hello everyone. I recently got a PowerBook G4 867Mhz from a friend to tune up and get running again. The machine sat for almost 2 years since last use. I did a clean erase and install of 10.4 on the machine. The computer now takes almost 25 minutes to go from power up to being able to be used. I have done all the updates and still nothing. There is also nothing in the startup items. The machine was acting the same way before I did the erase and install so I figured a clean install would fix it up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I dont know what to do. I have even taken out the aftermarket RAM and tried to restart and the same result.
It sounds like the hard drive has seen better days. Try getting a hard drive from ebay or something, that should definitely help.
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Thats what I am leaning towards now. I ran Apple Hardware Test and everything shows up fine. I ran fsck on it and its all good. Its either the logic board or the hard drive.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Logic board is checked out under the hardware test. What does the SMART Status have to say in Disk Utility?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Is This Thing Still Together!? | Choices Choices »