Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    keyvan
    upgrade ibook hdd
    Hey, just today I purchased my iBook from the applestore. The 999 dollar one, this thing kicks *** and i am using it regularly with the 250 GB hdd i have put in an external enclosure.The only thing bothering me is the extremely tiny hdd they have in here, the 30 gig, i didnt think it would be that bad, but it sucks, and i am wondering how i can upgrade it since i already bought it at the store. can i go to the genious bar or something and buy the hdd and have them install it, install it myself, buy it at frys and install it on my own, if anyone has any info i would love to hear it, perhaps what hdd i should get, etc. I would really appreciate any help you can give

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    Look here for replacement instructions…
    http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...%2F50.0.0.html

Doesn't look like fun.

keyvan
    Quote Originally Posted by immdb
    Look here for replacement instructions…
    http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...%2F50.0.0.html

Doesn't look like fun.

Holy cow, well, i appreciate the help, but i dont htink i want to undertake such a task with this brand new computer. I'll just talk to the applestore guys.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    be careful, just cause they work at the applestore doesnt mean they know what theyre doing, trust me.

keyvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    be careful, just cause they work at the applestore doesnt mean they know what theyre doing, trust me.
    Hello macman,
    yeah of course. but then i wouldnt be voiding the warranty in that case, but i think i can do this myself, if you guys would be so kind as to point out what hard drive, etc i need to purchase to be able to put in my ibook G4, anyone got any suggestions perhaps on brand too?

keyvan
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-223&depa=0

Hey, I think I will buy this and upgrade the hdd myself, would this work in the iBook? Thanks for the help, and i am loving this ibook. (honestly i asthetically like it much better than the powerbook)

code777
    WOW that is a project, no thank you... but good luck in changing it out.

keyvan
    Quote Originally Posted by code777
    WOW that is a project, no thank you... but good luck in changing it out.

I just finished it, I upgraded to 1.25GB Ram, and upgraded to 80 GB hdd, my ibook is now full loaded I am installing OS X on it right now. ))) so happy.

Quote Originally Posted by keyvan
    I just finished it, I upgraded to 1.25GB Ram, and upgraded to 80 GB hdd, my ibook is now full loaded I am installing OS X on it right now. ))) so happy.
    Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
    iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
    visit the geeks office

keyvan
    Lol, i was very eager to start it last night that i forgot to borrow the camera from my friend. But probly when I buy my own camera ill open it up again, after you do it once (or twice since i forgot to plug in the POWER BUTTON wire) it becomes second nature
    I could write an up to date guide on how to replace hd

Desolate One
    Awesome! Glad to hear it went well for you.

Lasha
    Wow!!! You Actually Did All That? Oh My God! That's Amazing!!! So Many Screws! Did You Lose Any Of Them???

Specs:
    MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
    You are crazy man...

keyvan
    hehe, if i can get a hold of a camera ill be sure to write up a guide, as the one i was kind of going by was totally off (ibook g3). i saved a ton of money this way, getting the 30 gb, and buying my 80 gb at fry's electronics, **** they (apple) dont even offer 80 gb hd's.

jbsengineer
    Anybody upgrade there iBook HDD???
    Quote Originally Posted by keyvan
    hehe, if i can get a hold of a camera ill be sure to write up a guide, as the one i was kind of going by was totally off (ibook g3). i saved a ton of money this way, getting the 30 gb, and buying my 80 gb at fry's electronics, **** they (apple) dont even offer 80 gb hd's.
    Wondering if anyone else has accomplished this. If so did you use a spudger to split the case or some other tool? I really want to upgrade. I'm at 30gig's right now and i have a 2.5" toshiba 60gb just sitting here in my desk... will the apple store put it in??? I can do it. just want to have my research down before i attempt.... any input is welcome,

Thread Information