New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Mac laptops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlc331

mlc331 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 20" pre-camera! Pre-Intell and still running strong!!!

Newbie to this forum and Mac's in general really. I made the switch to Mac about 2 years ago when I purchased an Imac. BEST thing I ever did!!!

Now then, I have a laptop (PC) that was mainly used for vacation and those times when the kids were on the IMAC. Kind of had it as a back up cause I thought that I'd need to bridge the gap between the mac world and pc - wrong! With my Daughter using the IMAC more and more for school, now going into the 9th grade... I figure that she'll be on it even more. Throw my Son into the mix (5th grade) and we need another machine. I'm looking at the MacBook Pro and looking for a desktop replacement as well as something that will be mobile, thus a 17 seems to be something that would fit the bill. I've found something here locally that seems respectable. I need to know:

1. What you guys think I should be paying for it.
2. What to look for in a used machine.

Here are the specs...

The MacBook Pro is said to be about a year old.
17"
Dual Core 2.16
120Gig HD
Wireless
BlueTooth
Super Drive DVD-RW
Back-lit key board
OS Tiger

Case seems to be in very good condition except a small bulge near the release button.

Has the Magnet power adapter along with all the original stuff including the box and all original paperwork and CD's (what ever they are).

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mlc331

??? either no one cares, or it's a stupid question.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's not a stupid question, however, only YOU can judge how much it's worth and whether or not it's a good buy. Get on eBay and compare prices for a like machine, do the same from Craig's list.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mlc331

been on Craigs list and contacted 5 different sellers. Believe it or not, each was fraudulent siting that they were in the UK and "here's how we can do it....."

Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc331 View Post
been on Craigs list and contacted 5 different sellers. Believe it or not, each was fraudulent siting that they were in the UK and "here's how we can do it....."

Thanks though
That's why you need to only contact local sellers with local numbers. Shipping and people out of the area is something you don't/shouldn't deal with on CL.
QUOTE Thanks
scottyc

scottyc is on a distinguished road

That model was acutually discontinued in October of 2006, so its a couple of years old but its still a nice machine. Its really up to you what you want to spend but I dont think I would go over $1500.00 and be very careful on craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
mlc331

Yea, CL is getting pretty bad. Problem contacting people on CL is when they don't leave a number and you have to contact them through the link. I just did another one last night and still haven't heard from the seller. Probably another scam. Guess we'll see.

Good to know that the model in question is a couple of years old. The prace on the computer that I listed above is 1595 and I think it's high. Not that it's that much more expensive than the machines on ebay, but two years old is seems a little old for top dollar.

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

My personal favorite, and what I have is, a 15 inch MBP for portability, hooked up to a 22" Acer WS DVI Display I got off newegg.com for like 220 bucks. Then just pick up an apple keyboard and bluetooth mighty mouse, and you've got yourself quite the setup.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
mlc331

just thought I would share how the hunt is going with you kind folks. Called on two more computers today in the LV area. Two more scams. One was in the UK and the other was supposedly in vegas but didn't want to make contact with anything but via USPS. Then when I asked for an address, I was given a canadian address.

So the tally stands...

7 out of 7 Mac adds in CL that I called on have been fake. Unreal!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery and Trackpad... dead | powerbook better than macmini? »