New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - My aging iBook G4, and OSX Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rottenvicious

rottenvicious is on a distinguished road

My iBook G4 is getting on a bit now, getting slow and basically just showing it's age. Sadly I'd don't have the funds to buy a new Mac. Friends have said to me that the best thing to do is wipe the Mac and start from scratch. If I were to buy a copy of OSX Leopard would I be able to completely wipe the Mac and start over with this new operating system? Would this be possible and would it help to get the Mac back to the speed it was when I first bought it?

Any help kindly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you give us a bit more info on your iBook? CPU Type and Speed, How much RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
rottenvicious

The CPU Type is Power PC G4 (1.5), 1.42GHz, its got 1GB of RAM. Hope that helps
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That iBook will run Leopard quite well. I have a 1.33Ghz 12" iBook and leopard runs fine.

As far as being as fast as when you purchased it, did it come with 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger?
QUOTE Thanks
rottenvicious

It came with Tiger 10.4.11 which it is still running now
QUOTE Thanks
rottenvicious

Also, now I know that it will actually work, will it be a simple and straightforward task to install Leopard as fresh onto the Mac wiping the Mac of everything thats on it now (obviously backed up elsewhere to be put back on once its all done) and start a new?
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Yup, all you have to do is put the disc in start the installation and choose a erase and install and it will wipe your hard drive and install it afresh, it will be like buying a new computer (sort of) when you start it up you will get the welcome messages asking you to set up your account and all that. I did the same with my macbook going from tiger to leopard and its running smoothly as ever.
QUOTE Thanks
theg4disaster

theg4disaster is on a distinguished road

well its been through alot and ive got the new leopard cd from a black brand new macbook how can i fix my ibook and make it work relitivly well and function bercause all it does is stay on the apple screen of doom thanks
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Is it a retail version of Leopard or are you trying to use the discs that came with your macbook on the ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

A Black Macbook is an Intel Mac. It uses an Intel X86 CPU. An iBook is a Motorola/IBM Power PC CPU. It does not run an OS designed for an X86 CPU.

Also the DVD that comes with a Macbook is made for that exact model Mac and will boot nor install on any other Mac except that exact model. You need a Full Retail Install DVD which is an all Black DVD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choosing a new MacBook | magsafe light »