New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - HELP!! CD stuck my mom's MacBook. CPU frozen.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

It's a white intel based macbook. I believe 1.78ghz processor, running 10.4.7, I believe, 10.4. something, anyway. It's my mom's; i'm here to help her because her computer froze up. She had a bunch of stuff open, tried to quit and got the revolving beach ball, then ended up force shutting down.

Now, when i start up, I get an icon of a file folder with a ? question mark. I want to put in a Tiger install disk and startup holding the C key to fix this... but need to get the current CD out of there!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

I got it out. I used Target mode, with another macbook. I think my mom's hard drive may be compromised in some way though. When i try to reinstall the OS from the install disk, it doesn't show a volume to install to. When i start up, I just get the folder icon with a question mark. Does this mean the hard drive is broken? Is there anything more I can try before bringing it to a Mac repair center? Thanks for any help.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It really sounds like the Hard Drive died. From the Tiger Install CD/DVD, click on the tools drop down and on Disk Utility. See what the SMART Status is and see also if you can check the Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with my display screen | Keyboard Not Working After Upgrade »