Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2008
    Posts
    56
    Macbook to MB pro or air
    Been using my macbook for the past week or so and been really liking the multi touch idea on the macbook air and on the macbook pro. and also both use LED screen which you cannot beat.

    I seem to always be getting bad angles from this macbook and the colors feel washed out, well they did in the beginning of using this but now it feels normal to me.

    I use this for basic stuff, browing the web...download music, movies, small documents etc etc just everyday stuff pretty much. Pretty soon I might get into photography, what would you guys say is a good deal for the things i like in a piece by apple. Great screen, and interested in multi touch. Basic use, but future maybe photoshop and what not, the air or the pro?
     24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2008
    Posts
    56
    anyone? lol bored sorry
     24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook

  3. #3

    skaheadpunk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2008
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    1,760
    Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2008
    Posts
    56
    ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?
     24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook

  5. #5

    skaheadpunk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2008
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    1,760
    Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    I really don't know... my macbook gets pretty hot so I use it on a bit of wood on my lap. You can get those fancy cooling things as well if you're getting scorched.

  6. #6

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
    ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?
    MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

    If you are getting into photography get the matte screen glossy causes trouble.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

    If you are getting into photography get the matte screen glossy causes trouble.
    What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?
     24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook

  8. #8

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
    What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?
    By default it should be matte. There is an option to make it glossy for no extra charge.

  9. #9

    Khris's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 13, 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    506
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
    Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.
    The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

    The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

    When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

    For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Aug 01, 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    88
    Specs:
    13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
    I wouldn't get the mac air since its only advantage is its size. The MBP from what I've heard has heating problems if multi tasking with many softwares at a long period of time. But I'm not sure about the newest model of MBP, I'm sure they fixed the problem.

    My macbook is perfect for me as a graphic/web designer since its easy to bring from home and office.

  11. #11

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Khris View Post
    The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

    The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

    When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

    For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own.
    You are right about that. I think the design of the MacBook Air is beautiful and the keyboard is probably the best thing about it, besides the size.

    What gets me is that all the extra stuff you have to get with it to make it usable IE USB ports and an external drive/superdrive if you really are on the go.

    That doesn't make sense to me because you are carry around a whole bunch of extra stuff and it's looks messy when you have to connect all that stuff to such a beautiful piece of machinery.

    Stick to the Pro it may not be as light or as thin as Air but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9
    I would have to agree with almost everyone else here, I recently purchased a Pro (as in, five days ago) and I am more than content with it. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a laptop, and I love the features of it that I would not have access to in an Air.

    And as for the heat issue, the current Pros do not get incredibly warm. I bought a fairly cheap lap board at Office Max before receiving my computer, but I find myself not using it when I'm using non-taxing programs, because the base doesn't get uncomfortably hot.

    I'm extremely glad I have the processing power and expandability of a Pro, because it makes basic tasks simple, and allows you to complete more complicated tasks if need be.

    But it does come down to what you prefer: power with portability, or extreme portability by itself.

  13. #13

    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,880
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

    If you are getting into photography get the matte screen glossy causes trouble.
    Just get something like a rain iLap, heat problem solved.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location
    Edmonton AB
    Posts
    70
    MBP...

    I owned a MBP, sold it, bought an Air, had it for 14 days, returning it tomorrow, new MBP on order...

    The Air is cool for about a week.. Then you realize that it's completely useless unless you travel a LOT and your requirements for a laptop are minimal.

    If you want a portable web browser, buy the air.. If you want a real laptop, buy the MBP.

  15. #15

    Khris's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 13, 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    506
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"
    My Air Superdrive goes everywhere my Air does so I never have to worry about that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 08:18 AM
  2. Macbook Air/Retina Flash Storage vs Macbook Pro SSD
    By luc182 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
  3. Beefed up 15 inch MacBook pro vs iMac/MacBook air combo
    By Bivano in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •