New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook to MB pro or air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajohnson253

ajohnson253 is on a distinguished road

Been using my macbook for the past week or so and been really liking the multi touch idea on the macbook air and on the macbook pro. and also both use LED screen which you cannot beat.

I seem to always be getting bad angles from this macbook and the colors feel washed out, well they did in the beginning of using this but now it feels normal to me.

I use this for basic stuff, browing the web...download music, movies, small documents etc etc just everyday stuff pretty much. Pretty soon I might get into photography, what would you guys say is a good deal for the things i like in a piece by apple. Great screen, and interested in multi touch. Basic use, but future maybe photoshop and what not, the air or the pro?

 24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

anyone? lol bored sorry

QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?

QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I really don't know... my macbook gets pretty hot so I use it on a bit of wood on my lap. You can get those fancy cooling things as well if you're getting scorched.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?
MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

If you are getting into photography get the matte screen glossy causes trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?
By default it should be matte. There is an option to make it glossy for no extra charge.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.
The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Realest99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

I wouldn't get the mac air since its only advantage is its size. The MBP from what I've heard has heating problems if multi tasking with many softwares at a long period of time. But I'm not sure about the newest model of MBP, I'm sure they fixed the problem.

My macbook is perfect for me as a graphic/web designer since its easy to bring from home and office.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own.
You are right about that. I think the design of the MacBook Air is beautiful and the keyboard is probably the best thing about it, besides the size.

What gets me is that all the extra stuff you have to get with it to make it usable IE USB ports and an external drive/superdrive if you really are on the go.

That doesn't make sense to me because you are carry around a whole bunch of extra stuff and it's looks messy when you have to connect all that stuff to such a beautiful piece of machinery.

Stick to the Pro it may not be as light or as thin as Air but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
rhythmone

rhythmone is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with almost everyone else here, I recently purchased a Pro (as in, five days ago) and I am more than content with it. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a laptop, and I love the features of it that I would not have access to in an Air.

And as for the heat issue, the current Pros do not get incredibly warm. I bought a fairly cheap lap board at Office Max before receiving my computer, but I find myself not using it when I'm using non-taxing programs, because the base doesn't get uncomfortably hot.

I'm extremely glad I have the processing power and expandability of a Pro, because it makes basic tasks simple, and allows you to complete more complicated tasks if need be.

But it does come down to what you prefer: power with portability, or extreme portability by itself.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:

Just get something like a rain iLap, heat problem solved.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
slashd0t

slashd0t is an unknown at this point

MBP...

I owned a MBP, sold it, bought an Air, had it for 14 days, returning it tomorrow, new MBP on order...

The Air is cool for about a week.. Then you realize that it's completely useless unless you travel a LOT and your requirements for a laptop are minimal.

If you want a portable web browser, buy the air.. If you want a real laptop, buy the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"
My Air Superdrive goes everywhere my Air does so I never have to worry about that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HOT macbook pro, what options do I have? | MacBook Screen »