New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Old Vs. New - MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brandt77

brandt77 is on a distinguished road

A friend is being kind, and is willing to sell his used macbook pro (generation before this new one) for a little over 1300. It was the cheapest macbook at the time that be bought it, and was 2000.
now i am saving 500 (yes my math is right, 200 is taken off for student discount) so i just want to know if that sounds worth it.
i will be doing video editing, and am not sure if the year old machine is up to it, otherwise, all i am missing out on is the new N wireless built in, and the finger thing you can do, like enlarge stuff.
if you have gotten this far, thank you, and i would like to know what you think.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I would go for it unless you can find a better deal on Apple's refurb store. A year old MacBook Pro has more than enough power to do what you want. I would ask if it has Apple care, if it doesn't then I would see if it is eligible for it before buying. If you get the serial number from your friend you can check warranty status on Apple's website.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Agreed- it'll have plenty of power still.
QUOTE Thanks
danger450

danger450 is an unknown at this point

A 5 year old Porsche can still outrun a new Corvette . . . don't judge computer "power" buy the age! I have administered many WINDOWS networks in my day and some of my favorite machines were 5 year old and had windows 2000 on them. Sometimes, they just WORKED and had no VISTA type issues.

I was just researching the power of some 3 or 4 year old powerbooks, and they seem to perform way better than some new $2000 windows machines, easily!

Don't think you will be missing out on anything, except a good deal if you don't get it ! I think that is a decent price as well.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

It has N built in, you might just have to pay the $3 or whatever for it. Haven't kept up to date with it.

.. and it'll be fine. Save $500.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Realest99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

His old MBP is good enough for what your looking to do and you save $500.

Good luck..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm looking for the last 15" G4 powerbook | Temperature »