New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - old ibook g4 can't hold screen anymore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peacexainxwar

peacexainxwar is on a distinguished road

about a year ago i heard a crack sound and the screen was slightly limp. then a few weeks ago i heard the same cracking sound and the right side of the hinge was loose. now today the other hinge made that awful sound and the screen can't hold by itself at all. are there any diy fixes? or can i take it to a best buy or to get it fixed? how much would this run me?

i can't afford a new macbook just yet so i'm trying to savor this one as long as possible.

ibook g4 12"
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

ibook g4 hinges are cast aluminium and are part of the frame surrounding the lcd. I doubt best buy will have the part to repair it - you'll be best off finding in independent-but-mac-centric repair shop who is likely to have the part. It may be pricey because to replace it, you've got to take both the lcd half and the lower half apart. Look into buying a new top half, doing it yourself, or propping the screen up against a pile of books.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« volume issues/volume control not responding | Notebook keyboard interoperability »