Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New computer, 9 battery cycles out of the box
    So I went into the mac store to get my MacBook swapped out for a new one because I had it for two days and it was crashing a lot.

So I go home and start my new laptop up and download istat pro and it shows 9 battery cycles already. Is that normal? My old notebook had 2.

If it was sealed in the box and everything there's no way it's a refurbished battery/notebook right?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    They may have given you a store demo instead of a new one. Take it back again and complain. My MacBook new out of the box had zero cycles on the battery.

Regards.

I'm getting fed up with apple. I'm about to say goodbye to them.

I don't understand how it could be a display though. No fingerprints on anything.

Specs:
    No way a brand new machine out of the shipping box should have nine cycles on its battery. It's either a return, store demo, or has been used. Fingerprints can be cleaned off very easily. Take it back and talk to the store manager.

Regards.

Specs:
    Macbook 2.4Ghz
    Mine had 0 Cycles out of the box

I was thinking of a Macbook - but what on earth are battery cycles?
    Should I have been aware of this phrase with a Msoft laptop, or is it specific to Apple?

Thanks

N

Specs:
    Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
    Lightbulb
    I believe a battery cycle is when a battery has been used and then charged. (I think, because it's kind of self explanatory). I agree with the others, go back. But PLEASE don't sat goodbye to apple. You know they're better. Don't go to the dark side!
    Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark

I called apple care today and they said it may be normal to see that many charges out of the box because they test some machines off the line. He made a claim so if anything happens I should be okay.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JHatz View Post
    I called apple care today and they said it may be normal to see that many charges out of the box because they test some machines off the line. He made a claim so if anything happens I should be okay.
    That is correct - in fact your machine is less likely to have issues than a machine that wasn't tested.

A battery cycle is one complete discharge and then charge of a battery. So if you dicharge it 20% and recharge, you'd have to do this 5 times to get one cycle.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    That is correct - in fact your machine is less likely to have issues than a machine that wasn't tested.

A battery cycle is one complete discharge and then charge of a battery. So if you dicharge it 20% and recharge, you'd have to do this 5 times to get one cycle.
    You made me feel so much better with that response. I just needed the reassurance. Now let the festivities begin!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

His machine had NINE cycles on the battery. That would be unacceptable to me. There's no way Apple should have tested that machine for that length of time off the assembly line to go through nine battery cycles. An acceptable amount of testing for perhaps 2 or even 3 cycles I could understand, but 9 cycles?

Just my opinion here... but I would be complaining to the store manager and asking for a new one.

Regards.

Specs:
    Macbook 2.4Ghz
    Yes it is weird I have my macbook for about a month now and I have 8 cycles(Use my macbook mostly on a power source)

ugh I hate this...everything I buy new is always broken. I just am too lazy to bring it back I think...idk.. the store is 45min from me and it's just a real pain.

Specs:
    The only thing about this that troubles me is what Apple told you. Either the guy didn't realize what he was saying or he was trying to put you off.

No manufacturer would put a notebook computer thru 9 cycles of its battery just to run tests. And even if they did, they should have replaced the battery with a new one before shipping the machine.

Anyway, you're probably distressed enough about all of this....

If you're satisfied with the machine and don't feel like taking it back, don't worry about it.

Regards.

Thread Information