New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Random bits of static coming out of speakers when connected to Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MattShallPerish

MattShallPerish is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD

So I had to do a hard reboot on my macbook last night after I encountered a problem with Firefox that did not allow me to either force quit or restart from the apple menu.

I dunno if that's at all related to the problem I'm now experiencing, but after the reboot I've noticed random static noises coming out of the speakers connected to my Macbook. I've tested it by plugging the speakers into other devices, but no static. I can't seem to find the root of the problem, maybe there's a spec of dust inside where you plug in the speakers, I dunno. But could someone tell me if there may be something wrong with my soundcard now?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No sound card in your MacBook, just an integrated sound chip. Do you have a set of headphones you can plug in to test with? If you also hear random static from the headphones the output jack may be loose or as you say, dirty. Firefox crashing should have nothing to do with the static.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MattShallPerish

MattShallPerish is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD

thanks for the reply... I'll give it a test, if the output jack is loose or something is there a way to fix it, or is it a manufacturing defect?

edit: ok I have tested it with my iPod ear buds and there is no static to be heard. It must be a problem with the way the jack from my speakers fits into the output jack that is causing it to be loose. this puts my mind at ease because I guess it means there's nothing wrong with my beautiful new mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The sound output jack is difficult to get at since you would have to remove the keyboard assembly. And about the only way to tighten it is from within the machine. If the machine is still under warranty or Applecare, let them do it if that's the problem.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacing hard drive in iBook g4 | Maximum ram for my model? »