New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New iBook over my 15in PowerBook Ti?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StealthMode

A few weeks ago I helped my friend pick out a new iBook and stuff for school. Well, yesterday she switches majors, and no longer needs the laptop, so she offered to sell it to me. It's only been used twice, so she wants basically what she payed for it.
It's the 12in model, 256mb RAM that came with it, she ordered another 256 from Crucial, 60gb HD, and that was it for the extras.

So I'm thinking of selling my 15in Ti PowerBook to my uncle if he is still interested in buying it. It's the 1ghz model, with 512mb SDRAM, 60gb Drive, Combo Drive, etc. So the iBook is faster, and the only thing I will be losing is the widescreen..

I'm just wondering if you guys think it would be worth it? I'm thinking that if I do get it, I'll hang onto it until this summer, sell it to my buddy who interested, and then get the new PowerBook with Tiger. So basically, win win for me either way. Just not sure its worth the hassle. What do you guys think?

Oh, she basically wants $1300 for it, and she is selling me her brand new Canon A75 with 128mb card, $1500 and both are mine.

Also, one more thing I forgot, a few months ago after the new iBooks came out, I actually ordered one, but cancled the order, but a few things didn't cancel, like the AppleCare for the iBook, which is basically the same as this one. So, would that warranty be transferable to this iBook? Basically I have a warranty for a laptop I don't even own atm.. go me... :closed:

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

HMMMM, can't you keep the PB and just buy the iBook from her?? haha. To be honest if I had a PB 15" I think i'd be pretty happy. My friend has one and I really like it. Its the G4 one with 1.3Ghz (the newest version) and the graphics on that thing are amazing. Its not very portable if you ask me but hey, its still a very cool laptop.

I don't know tough call. Its really up to you on how you feel about getting rid of your PB for a 12" iBook. I guess I'm saying if I had a 15" PB I'd keep it until I could save up for an iBook or a new G5 Powerbook! I mean if you are already use to the 15" then it might be weird going down to 12". Would the iBook be your MAIN computer?
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Is it a matter of helping your friend, or a new ibook for yourself? Im sure she can sell it outright, no problem. Let her do that, and than wait and buy the Tiger version in the summer, your talking likr 6-8 months.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

>It's only been used twice, so she wants basically what she payed for it.<

that is no reasone to pay top for it, its worth what its worth as a second hand laptop, it aint worth full price second hand.
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

Yea. She put it up on eBay, I don't want it that bad, I was just wondering. I doubt she'll get what she is asking either... I am not sure I ever want to sell this laptop, it's the Ti model, a classic

Anyway, thanks for the insight.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

When it is time to replace my Ti book, I will be keeping it also. It is good to have a backup.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

For sure. I'm actually thinking of going a completely different route now anyway. Keeping my PB, upgrading to 1gb of RAM, and instead of a new PB this summer, I am thinking of getten a dual G5, which will be better anyway for the heavy duty editing anyway. Then I can use my PB for when I am ont he road, or light editing and what not. Will cost me less then a brand new maxed out PB as well, so I will actually save money.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with movies on my ibook | Aren't these two memory sticks the same? »