New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook freezes on gray screen and does not start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sebacuret

sebacuret is on a distinguished road

Hello, this is my first post and I will really appreciate if you could help me. Yesterday I started my macbook and it froze on the gray screen with the withe apple. I restarted but nothing happened. I left it all night until the battery went down. Nothing. The only thing I could think of is the following: I found out that most of my HD was full (120 GB) whihc was a surprise to me, and I started deleting unnecesary files. So, either I erase the wrong file (though it worked fine and I did not delete system files) or I have a virus...
Does anybody know what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

sebacuret,

I don't think it's a virus, Macs don't get them, but you could have deleted a significant file required for running O X.

Try starting in the Safe Mode (install disk, hold down S key) and if that doesn't work, try it again and hold down the C key and go to Disk Utility. If you get there, run Verify Disc and check results. Then if it comes up, use Repair Disc.

If none of that works, you may need to re-install. Do you have backup? If so, erase your hard drive from Disk Utility and restore the backup. Might be a good time to replace the hard drive before you restore the hard drive...

Maybe someone else on here will have a better answer...

Good luck, Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 600mhz ibook very strange boot problem! | Shuts off when battery drains to below 50% »