New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - problem with my girlfreinds macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

njspearo

njspearo is on a distinguished road

hey guys im new to this forum but was hoping you could help me out.
i am pretty sure i messed up my girlfriends computer by getting some water on the underside of it an i hope to god i can set things straight so she doesnt kill me.
i think some condensation from ice water cups seeped under my girls computer while i was sleeping. it died right before i went to sleep and when i went to turn it back on today it had some water chilllin under it when i picked it up and when i went to to turn it on the white screen came on and the little white power light near the IR sensor comes on then the little white light dies out and so did the screen, then in a second or two the screen would come on again and so would the light and it would repeat this an nothing more would happen.
after airing it out for a couple hours i turned it on, the white screen came on for a while then the comp booted up and now it is on and running.
i have read similar water damage stories and it seem like if the comp does end up turning on it will usually end up crapping out anyway.
so does anyone know if what was happening were signs of water damage or just a weird glitch.
thanks in advance for your help

cal.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

njspearo,

I'd say count your blessings that it's now booting up. In any case I would warn her what happened in case she later has trouble, she'll know what to tell Apple (and who to charge in case they don't fix it )

If it keeps working, chances are that the water dried up from the comp's heat and all could be well, BUT it could be a momentary run of good luck for you - could have some trouble down stream (from the water).... oooh...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
njspearo

njspearo is on a distinguished road

thanks for responding noels,
im hoping that no more problems will come about but i am gonna tell her what happened just in case.
what sort of hardware might have been damaged by some water pooling up under the comp for several hours??
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njspearo View Post
thanks for responding noels,
im hoping that no more problems will come about but i am gonna tell her what happened just in case.
what sort of hardware might have been damaged by some water pooling up under the comp for several hours??
Well, the battery, memory, hard drive and some electronics for starters Can't say for sure, but take a look at the bottom, remove the battery and you can see the memory area (behind springs) and where the hard drive goes into the left, and what all inside...
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by njspearo View Post
i am pretty sure i messed up my girlfriends computer by getting some water on the underside of it an i hope to god i can set things straight so she doesnt kill me.

i think you may want to get your affairs in order... cremated or buried?

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird keyboard issue when plugging in AC adapter | Buying Mac for Wife. Some questions »