Pasadena, CA
    My Specs! Do i need an upgrade?
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm new to the forum and a new Mac User. I recently got a MacBook with the following specs. Could you guys give me your opinion about it? And if i need an upgrade, please say so! Because i dont think i have enough memory... Thanks

Modelname: MacBook
    Model: MacBook3,1
    Processorspeed: 2 GHz
    L2-cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Speed: 800 MHz
    You aint much, if you aint Dutch

rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    Well you have to ask yourself that. It all depends on what you are planning to do with the computer. If you just plan to surf the web, listen to music, maybe watch some movies i dont see the reason to upgrade.

But if you do more productive work and would like some more speed the cheapest would probably to upgrade your RAM.
    My Blog: Apple Laptops

I agree with Strukt your usage will determine if you need to do anything. That Mac will take 2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 2 gig chips which will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    The easiest way to determine if you need more memory is to actually see how much you're using with all your favorite applications open. When you have your normal set of apps open, run Activity Monitor (Applications => Utilities). Click on the System Memory tab and take a look at the pie chart.

If you see plenty of 'green' in the pie chart, you don't need more memory. If the other colors are more dominant, you should consider upgrading. IMO, is the way to go for this - and they ease the process in selecting memory if you use their 'Memory Advisor Tool'.

More detailed information on interpreting the stats in Activity Monitor.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information