New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook boots as soon as plugged into power

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

golfpro65

golfpro65 is on a distinguished road

I've just started having a very strange Macbook problem. As soon as I plug my Macbook into the mains it boots (with the lid closed). I checked last night to make sure it was a dead as a dodo (and it was) when shutting down, but this morning when I plugged it back in it booted (on its own). Anyone come across this before, and if so is there a fix?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Under System Preferences> Energy Saver> Options is the box for 'Automatically restart after power failure' checked? That's all I can think of right now.
QUOTE Thanks
golfpro65

No, but thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Ok, does it still boot up on it's own if you force a shut down by holding down the power button instead of selecting shut down from the apple menu?
QUOTE Thanks
golfpro65

I shut down with the power button and it starts normally. What does that signify?
QUOTE Thanks
SamHigh

SamHigh is an unknown at this point

You might not be letting the system totally shut down before closing the screen; putting it into sleep mode.

I have this same problem unless I wait a full ten seconds after the screen goes dark before closing my Macbook.

iPhone 3G
MacBook 13" Black
MacBook Pro 15" Dual Core 2.4GHZ 200 GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

If what SamHigh said doesn't work then it sounds like your MacBook isn't shutting down properly and it's not a problem with the power button so it sounds like a software issue...

Are you under warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
golfpro65

Well it could be the 10 second business. I'll give that a whirl. Sadly I'm not under warranty though. Still if its a software issue thats the lesser of the potential evils.
QUOTE Thanks
jdub

jdub is on a distinguished road

my mbp wakes from sleep when i plug it in, but if the lid is shut then the computer wakes but the screen doesnt, the only way to get the screen back on is a force shutdown. not quite the same problem, but could be something similar. anyone know how th solve this one?
QUOTE Thanks
golfpro65

I've had more time to look at this problem. This is exactly what is happening (I should have been clearer with my original post...sorry). From 'cold', when I plug in the power the Macbook boots with the lid closed, but as with the above poster the screen doesn't. It requires a force shutdown/restart get it started probably. Does that change anyones opinion on this problem?

Could it be a Power Management Chip issue, and would resetting this help?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have 2GB Want 4GB RAM | Battery and Internet »