New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Increase Performance with Memory Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macFBoy

macFBoy is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone new to the forum!

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Corsair low Latency Memory and does it increase performance?

I saw this video http://www.channelflip.com/2008/06/2...-memory-boost/

and the performance looks good. Price is decent $94 at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...a4gsdskit667c4

Please let me know if you have tried it on a MacBook Pro or iMac and if your system is faster. Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

macFBoy,

I haven't tried this memory on my Macbook, but I have used the equivalent Corsair 4-4-4-12 in my Windows desktops and I think it works great. Low latency should give you excellent performance, at least when compared to higher timings, so I wouldn't think twice about buying it. The price is OK, too.

Note, I don't know what kind of speed boost you'll get just from the low latency aspect, but you should get it when moving from 1 or 2GB to 4GB RAM and combine it with the low latency...

I think Corsair makes great RAM and I use it all the time on my home-built desktops, but when I upgraded my Macbook to 4GB, Corsair wasn't available in SO-DIMMs, so I bought Mushkin...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
macFBoy

Noels,

Thanks for your help! I've made my decision to go with the Corsair Low Latency Memory.
QUOTE Thanks
macFBoy

One more question...

Does anyone know if this will work with Intel Core 2 Duo iMacs?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Hang on...

The memory timings are impacted by 2 things. One is the physical speed that the memory can run at, and you're talking about CAS/RAS latency here, and the other is the speed at which is it is asked to run at by the system. This is controlled by the EFI Firmware (in windows speak, the BIOS).

Buying faster memory will not improve the performance unless you have access to the Logicboard settings to ask it to take advantage of this. I don't believe that the Macbook Pro or the iMac have this capability (I may be wrong).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Hang on...

The memory timings are impacted by 2 things. One is the physical speed that the memory can run at, and you're talking about CAS/RAS latency here, and the other is the speed at which is it is asked to run at by the system. This is controlled by the EFI Firmware (in windows speak, the BIOS).

Buying faster memory will not improve the performance unless you have access to the Logicboard settings to ask it to take advantage of this. I don't believe that the Macbook Pro or the iMac have this capability (I may be wrong).
Zoolook,

Won't the 4-4-4-12 work faster than a set with say, 5-5-5-12 or so? Even without access to the BIOS to re-set the timings? I guess that's what I was comparing it to...

Maybe I misunderstand latency.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
macFBoy

Noels,

I just received the Corsair Low Latency Memory. Overall the system seems to run faster and smoother on my MBP. App response times are good no 2 or 3 second halt. I've also confirmed on bootcamp/Vista that the Memory is running at 4-4-4-12 by using CPU-Z and Everest.

Can't wait for the next gen MBP!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
Zoolook,

Won't the 4-4-4-12 work faster than a set with say, 5-5-5-12 or so? Even without access to the BIOS to re-set the timings? I guess that's what I was comparing it to...

Maybe I misunderstand latency.

Noel
Just because a memory stick CAN provide data in 3 cycles, as opposed to 5, doesn't mean it will unless the system is expecting it.

You can see here, the MOBO dictates the memory latency. The specs of the memory simply determine if these speeds can be reached.

Now I may be wrong, and Apple Logic Boards may be able to set this automatically depending on the spec of the memory. I have never actually seen the firmware settings to test this.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
macFBoy

But some motherboards do not allow any latency adjustments and it will just read off the SPD(=Serial Presence Detection I think). Also when you look at the Apple Memory it has timings listed. Oh well I'm 100% happy with the memory, so it's cool...
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Zoolook,

Thanks for the explanation. I have used RAM settings in my Windows BIOS es, but of course not with my Macbook I assumed, like macFBoy said, that my Mac would adjust timings depending on the memory capability...

Live and learn!

Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MB turns on, screen goes on/off, sleep light/ no OS boot... chronic sleep? | french keyboard for macbook ! »