Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overheating

Overheating

Specs:
    MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
    I find an easy solution is to put my laptop on a placemat (like the ones you would use at the dinner table) while using it on a bed, carpet, or anything of a similar nature. This gives the unit a little lift off the ground, providing more space to kick out heat.

Overheating

Specs:
    iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
    How to check MBP temps?
    OK, I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have a two month old MBP - 15.4, 2.4, 5400rpm - so far the only programs added are Microsoft Office basic for Mac and Photoshop Elements 6. Here on this forum I read about the best way to preserve the life of the battery so when at home I use my MBP plugged in the electrical mains. Last night I used my MBP for about two hours (plugged in) and the bottom of my MBP near where the magnetic power cord plugs in became pretty hot. My dumb - newbie question is: "how do you check the temperature?". Do you download software to take over the cooling fans operation? Is there software already on the MBP to check temps at various sites inside the machine? Is there software available to check the temps but not take over the fan operation. Also - I never "hear" the fans on my MBP - is that unusual? Thanks for reading and/or responding!
    Bill

Overheating
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
    OK, I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have a two month old MBP - 15.4, 2.4, 5400rpm - so far the only programs added are Microsoft Office basic for Mac and Photoshop Elements 6. Here on this forum I read about the best way to preserve the life of the battery so when at home I use my MBP plugged in the electrical mains. Last night I used my MBP for about two hours (plugged in) and the bottom of my MBP near where the magnetic power cord plugs in became pretty hot. My dumb - newbie question is: "how do you check the temperature?".
    I use iStat Menus. They can display a variety of different information, including temperature readings from all the different thermal sensors in your machine.

Do you download software to take over the cooling fans operation?
    I would recommend against it.

Is there software already on the MBP to check temps at various sites inside the machine? Is there software available to check the temps but not take over the fan operation. Also - I never "hear" the fans on my MBP - is that unusual? Thanks for reading and/or responding!
    Bill
    The fans are very quiet. I can't say that I've ever heard them, besides just a faint whisper - but rest assured, they're working. If they weren't, your machine wouldn't be very stable.

I'd just like to reiterate a very important point here - and that is; Modern notebook computers are designed to run warm, particularly notebooks of the same class as the MacBook Pro. It is not unusual for a high end notebook to run so warm that it is unusable under moderate to heavy load, on your lap. In my experience, the MacBook Pro runs warm, but should never get uncomfortably so - if it is, I'd recommend taking it to Apple to have them look at it.

Also keep in mind that ambient temperature has a lot to do with how well the machine can dissipate heat. Personally, I keep my home at 72 degrees year round. So, what applies to me might not apply to someone who leaves the windows open and routinely uses their machine in an 80 degree environment with 78% humidity.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Overheating

Specs:
    iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
    Thanks "cwa107"
    cwa107,

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply to my questions on MBPs and overheating!

Overheating

Specs:
    15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
    I run smcFanControl to regulate the temperature on my MBP. When I use the computer moderately, I keep my rpms at 2500, but when running more intensive programs (depending on the program), I will up the rpms to 3250 or 4000. I try to keep my computer under 125 degrees F. I'd hate to have things melt inside the case, if that's possible.

Thread Information