New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Can Powerbk detect PC HDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lunacy

Hey guys, i'm new to Mac, ( in fact VERY NEW just a couple of mth ) and err, because ive got this super drive, i'd like to knoe if powerbks can read hdd from pc?

I've got this pc hdd taken out from casing and placed in this USB deck thingy. and i was hoping to conect it to powerbk to burn data ffiles into DVD as backup.
Is that possible?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy
Hey guys, i'm new to Mac, ( in fact VERY NEW just a couple of mth ) and err, because ive got this super drive, i'd like to knoe if powerbks can read hdd from pc?

I've got this pc hdd taken out from casing and placed in this USB deck thingy. and i was hoping to conect it to powerbk to burn data ffiles into DVD as backup.
Is that possible?
If I understand this right. You have placed a PC formatted drive in an USB enclosure. Assuming an USB 1.2 connection, you should be able to connect the enclosure to the USB port. And if you are lucky the Mac should see the drive. It would not hurt to try.
QUOTE Thanks
lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If I understand this right. You have placed a PC formatted drive in an USB enclosure. Assuming an USB 1.2 connection, you should be able to connect the enclosure to the USB port. And if you are lucky the Mac should see the drive. It would not hurt to try.

Hi,
Thanks but erm im not very familiar wif the tech terms here (sorry ^^:,
Do u mean that Mac does not use usb 2.0?
cus i think most decks are using usb 2.0 or smth
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The older Macs use USB 1.2. I am not sure which Mac has USB 2.0. Which Mac do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
The older Macs use USB 1.2. I am not sure which Mac has USB 2.0. Which Mac do you have?
theoretically none of the macs have USB 2 yet. But the G5 and the newer G4s seem to be able to support it with a software update.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Well, shouldn't any USB beable to use it, just not at the same bandwidth.. I often see USB 2.0 working with 1.2 ports... cables you can buy at cheap-mart are all 2.0 with 1.2 supported...
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Well, shouldn't any USB beable to use it, just not at the same bandwidth.. I often see USB 2.0 working with 1.2 ports... cables you can buy at cheap-mart are all 2.0 with 1.2 supported...
yeah i forgot about that, USB should be backward compatible, unlike firewire.
QUOTE Thanks
tfbonline

To answer the original question, yep Mac will see external PC hard drive if fitted into a USB cradle. - As far as the hardware goes, they're nearly all the same thing anyway. Standard common or garden IDE drives.

There is supposed to be a MAC USB 2 implementation in the G5, but it does need software patches, as Apple seem to have messed it up a bit. (Not an anti Mac comment here! To me a computer's a computer)

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
heyclement

Supposedly yes. 'cause the new G4 PowerBooks should be able to read both the NTSF and FAT32 formats of PC harddisk. However, I've read it somewhere that they're only able to write to FAT32 and not NTSF.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« buying my first iBook / advice | Airport Extreme »