New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook pro and static?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macks

Macks is on a distinguished road

Hi guys well, im interested in getting a MBP soon, and i hear you get alot of static from them considering they are alluminium.. im just wondering is this entirely true?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sometimes I get a lot of static from my wife! Oh, we're talking about MacBook Pros...

There have been several folks who posted about getting shocked when touching the metal case of their MBP, but in my opinion it was more than likely caused by using an improperly grounded AC outlet.

I suppose if you live in the high desert area of California where the humidities are very low, there's always the possibility of getting a static discharge from the case if you walk across the room and touch it. But the same thing can happen if you touch any metal object.

Don't worry about it. If you want one, buy it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

what if you rub the MBP across the carpeted floor... that would charge it up ...would be cool if you could charge the battery like that..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
Macks

Macks is on a distinguished road

Lols @ you guys. Uhm, Static is a little annoying. I wont mind it now and again because thats expected im just unsure about it being a constant thing.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I have never gotten a static shock from my MBP.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
knobel

knobel is on a distinguished road

i have a recently purchased mbp, and consistently get slight shocks from the edge when the laptop is plugged into a power source and my lower arms are moist (e.g. from hot summer weather). i've seen some replies to postings like this one which mention static, but in my case that's not it: if it were static, then one discharge would do the trick. this is constant sharp tickling. i've measured 100v steady charge between keyboard cover and ground, and suspect that my laptop has an insufficiently insulated connection somewhere inside, relatively harmless since it doesn't affect the functioning of the laptop, at least not yet. i'll take it in to be tested at the next opportunity, but would be interested to hear if someone has a more useful comment than static or an ungrounded wall connection.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

are you using the fully grounded plug (assuming you're in NA). If not try that, if so is the outlet grounded properly?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Tranman

Tranman is on a distinguished road

I've never been shocked or even felt a tingling or static. I use my MBP every day for about 4 months now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook resurrection.... | 12.1" 1.5Ghz G4 - Upgraded to Leopard - can I upgrade ram beyond 1.25GB? »