New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - How much faster is an G4 iBook compared to a G3 iBook?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Right now I have a G3 iBook (900 MHz, 640 MB RAM, Combodrive, 40 GB HDD). I'm looking at a G4 iBook (1.2 GHz, 768 MB RAM, Superdrive, 60 GB HDD).

How much faster would the G4 be over my G3. I figure that after selling my G3, the G4 would only be another $200ish on top of it. Would this be worth it?

Also, how are the G4 iBooks? Did they have any known issues or problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
It'll be significantly faster, if only because of the added mhz and the memory/motherboard will also be quicker. For the extra $200 it might be worth it.

For what it's worth, I think the iBook G4s are nice, but if you could stretch to a Powerbook, they are slightly more robust. Don't expect miracles from the G4 these days. What exactly are your requirements?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It'll be significantly faster, if only because of the added mhz and the memory/motherboard will also be quicker. For the extra $200 it might be worth it.

For what it's worth, I think the iBook G4s are nice, but if you could stretch to a Powerbook, they are slightly more robust. Don't expect miracles from the G4 these days. What exactly are your requirements?
I'm mainly looking for something that will last me a bit longer than my G3. It's getting on the old-side, and I need something that will last at least another year or two.

Otherwise, the G3 does most things I need it to do: basic web browsing, word processing (and similar things). Though, most videos seem to chug on this, and it'd be nice to play videos more smoothly.

Other than that, I don't do anything terribly intense: just web browsing, word processing type things, syncing to my Touch, etc.


What exactly is better about a Powerbook than an iBook if they are the same/similar specs (the basic specs at least: processor, RAM, etc.)? Are they better built in general?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,849
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Hope this helps. A friend of mine had an iBook G3 800Mhz and it really had issues with playing Flash Videos smoothly.

I own an iBook G4 1.33Ghz and have no issued with any Flash video. They play smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
What exactly is better about a Powerbook than an iBook if they are the same/similar specs (the basic specs at least: processor, RAM, etc.)? Are they better built in general?
The G4 is a slightly better CPU, clock for clock, meaning if you had a G3 and a G4 with everything else being equal, the G4 would perform better for most modern applications.

The G3 ran on a 100mhz system bus, this dictates how quickly information gets from RAM to the CPU and from the CPU to the GPU etc. The G4 runs on a 133mhz system bus, which is significantly faster.

Also the G4 iBook has a better GPU. The iBook G3 you have probably has a 32mb ATI Radeon mobility (not a bad chip actually) but the G4 has the Radeon 9200 mobility, more in line with the 8500 desktop chip with shader capabilities etc. So things like transparencies and other effects will be GPU accelerated, rather than running from the CPU.

The 80GB hdd is not standard, so you may be lucky and it might be a 5400rpm drive, as opposed to the standard 4200rpm drive. The former is a lot faster than the latter... ask a MacBook Air owner!

Also, the 1.2ghz chip breaks the magic ghz barrier... where many applications and web resources ask for, and assume a minimum of, this spec.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
The G4 is a slightly better CPU, clock for clock, meaning if you had a G3 and a G4 with everything else being equal, the G4 would perform better for most modern applications.

The G3 ran on a 100mhz system bus, this dictates how quickly information gets from RAM to the CPU and from the CPU to the GPU etc. The G4 runs on a 133mhz system bus, which is significantly faster.

Also the G4 iBook has a better GPU. The iBook G3 you have probably has a 32mb ATI Radeon mobility (not a bad chip actually) but the G4 has the Radeon 9200 mobility, more in line with the 8500 desktop chip with shader capabilities etc. So things like transparencies and other effects will be GPU accelerated, rather than running from the CPU.

The 80GB hdd is not standard, so you may be lucky and it might be a 5400rpm drive, as opposed to the standard 4200rpm drive. The former is a lot faster than the latter... ask a MacBook Air owner!

Also, the 1.2ghz chip breaks the magic ghz barrier... where many applications and web resources ask for, and assume a minimum of, this spec.
Thanks for the info. How would a G4 Powerbook be better than a G4 iBook? I think you mentioned that the Powerbooks are more robust.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
Thanks for the info. How would a G4 Powerbook be better than a G4 iBook? I think you mentioned that the Powerbooks are more robust.
I think the build quality is better, most people would agree. Plus you might get a 9700 Radeon (which has better shader support) and a widescreen if you stretch for the 2005 model. However, you're looking at quite a bit of extra cash.

The 12" model with the 1ghz or 1.25ghz CPU has a faster hdd (5400rpm) and might come with a superdrive if you're lucky.

Depends on your taste and the size of your wallet though. I happen to think the PowerBook G4 is one of the best Macs ever made.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I think the build quality is better, most people would agree. Plus you might get a 9700 Radeon (which has better shader support) and a widescreen if you stretch for the 2005 model. However, you're looking at quite a bit of extra cash.

The 12" model with the 1ghz or 1.25ghz CPU has a faster hdd (5400rpm) and might come with a superdrive if you're lucky.

Depends on your taste and the size of your wallet though. I happen to think the PowerBook G4 is one of the best Macs ever made.
Thank you for all of your help.

I ended up snagging a G4 iBook (1.33 GHz, 512 MB RAM, combo, 60 GB HDD) for $385 shipped. I think I got a pretty good deal. How hard is it to add extra RAM into these? Also, do you happen to know (or know where I can find out) how many RAM slots these have? The seller told me that it has 256MB built in and a 256MB in another slot. Are all slots full then?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
Thank you for all of your help.

I ended up snagging a G4 iBook (1.33 GHz, 512 MB RAM, combo, 60 GB HDD) for $385 shipped. I think I got a pretty good deal. How hard is it to add extra RAM into these?
It's easy. You can get a 1GB module

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...D50A9FA5CA7304

For a total of 1.25 GBs, for $65

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It's easy. You can get a 1GB module

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...D50A9FA5CA7304

For a total of 1.25 GBs, for $65
Thanks. That's the route I'll probably be going.

Also, how can I find out what model number the laptop is (for my own reference)?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
Thanks. That's the route I'll probably be going.

Also, how can I find out what model number the laptop is (for my own reference)?
It'll be in the 'about this Mac' tab, click 'more info' then it's one of the 1st bits of information you'll see.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
One last question (I think):

I can transfer data from the G3 to the G4 via a fireware cable in target disk mode, correct? Do you happen to know off hand what type of firewire port is in the G4 iBook (6 pin or 9 pin)? I know the G3 is 6 pin, but I'm not sure about the G4. I'm trying to decide which cable to buy.
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

 
MACGIRL34's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 01, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 451
MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

MACGIRL34 is offline
Rule of thumb for me is newer will generally mean better in Macs. They usually update the processor speed and etc. to make it keep up with the demands of the current software and etc...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
One last question (I think):

I can transfer data from the G3 to the G4 via a fireware cable in target disk mode, correct? Do you happen to know off hand what type of firewire port is in the G4 iBook (6 pin or 9 pin)? I know the G3 is 6 pin, but I'm not sure about the G4. I'm trying to decide which cable to buy.
It should be OK, but may depend somewhat on what versions of OS X on on each iBook. However the iBook G3 and G4 have the same type of Firewire port, so you can copy your settings over. I would not recommend booting from the G3 hdd into the G4, because there are significant differences between the drivers for a start.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

 
Member Since: Aug 27, 2006
Posts: 130
atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

atomheartmother is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It should be OK, but may depend somewhat on what versions of OS X on on each iBook. However the iBook G3 and G4 have the same type of Firewire port, so you can copy your settings over. I would not recommend booting from the G3 hdd into the G4, because there are significant differences between the drivers for a start.
How should I do it then? My understanding was that I would just have the G4 on, and I would turn the G3 off and then back on holding the correct button to enter TargetDisk mode. At that point, the G3 HD icon would appear on the G4 desktop, and I could drag and drop items over.

Should I do it in reverse or something? Could I drag items from the G3 and drop them in the G4 HD icon on the G3 desktop while the G4 is in TargetDisk mode?

Also, both will be running 10.4.11.

Essentially, the only things that I'll be transferring are my iTunes stuff (songs, podcasts, apps, videos). I have some docs and pictures that I might do this way too (or maybe just a flash drive).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« MBAir vs.MBP in trade? | iBook G4 won't boot anymore! help! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
restore discs for a G4 ibook being used on a G3 ibook? AnatomyOfARyan Apple Notebooks 2 02-02-2007 12:26 PM
New iBook Notebook, advice and info numacuser Switcher Hangout 14 04-17-2005 11:24 AM
want to buy an ibook stevescivic Apple Notebooks 8 04-01-2005 05:05 AM
can ibook 12" 500mhz battery be used in new 12" ibook 1ghz? missyvortex Apple Notebooks 7 10-13-2004 12:26 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?