New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Switch off?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steveland

Steveland is on a distinguished road

Hi all
My G4 ibook is 4 years old and in that time I've had to replace the logic board (about 2.5 years ago) but otherwise it's been very well behaved. I am, however, anticipating the end simply because of its age...

Now, I usually switch it off about once every 3 weeks, but in a bid to curb my excessive web-surfing I've pledged to switch it off whenever I finish using it. Is this a good idea?
I booted this morning and got the panics when it seemed to take a long time to get to the blue/loading bar screen and for some reason I thought that if my ibook is ever gonna die it'll probably be in the process of booting.

I don't know where that logic comes from, but I'm not very computer-literate (in fact, I'm practically medieval).

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Its the anticipation! My Mac pro seems to take for ever to get even the Apple logo up on the screen.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

What are the specifications on this iBook? It's highly doubtful it'll die soon. If you let it sit for a while and start it up, yeah it'll take a while to load. My eMac does that sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
Hit

Hit is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

I always switch off my macbook, because my macbook uses 30W on normal usage (Full battery) and 15W on sleep(Full battery) I find 15W much for sleep mode
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit View Post
I always switch off my macbook, because my macbook uses 30W on normal usage (Full battery) and 15W on sleep(Full battery) I find 15W much for sleep mode
That's a Macbook. iBooks are completely different than a Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Hit

Hit is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
That's a Macbook. iBooks are completely different than a Macbook.
Well I expect the power usage on an iBook would be ever worse(Mostly older machines use more power)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop went chunky & noisy?! | side lid »