New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - fast macbook pro drive?? (1000rpm)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

hi guys

well i have seen this drive so was thinking about taking the heat sink case thing off it and sticking it in my macbook pro

will it fit/work??

any one know?

also if it will not work whats the fastest drive i can get or is SSD my only option for something faster than 7200rpm
QUOTE Thanks
Dec540

Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

Thats a 3.5" drive.. you need to look for 2.5" Notebook/laptop drives.
Like these
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Dec540, No it IS a 2.5" drive fitted into a 3.5" carrier !

BUT

it is too tall to fit in anything other than the 17" macbook pro, it is 10000rpm not 1000rpm, it is very noisy, it uses far more power than a normal laptop drive and it creates so much heat that it needs that massive heat sink. Also if you remove the heat sink you void the warranty.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=806694

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

ok thanks so whats the fastest out there?
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
ok thanks so whats the fastest out there?
Probably one of the 200Gb 7200rpm drives, my macbook pro has a Hitachi but there are also similar drives from seagate and poss samsung.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Dec540

Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

yeah well thats what i mean, its not technically a 3.5" HDD but it needs a 3.5" enclosure..
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

you want something fast with a lot of storage find one of these.. 7200 320GB with freefall sensor. just put the model number in google and search for one.. cheapest i have found was $182

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
you want something fast with a lot of storage find one of these.. 7200 320GB with freefall sensor. just put the model number in google and search for one.. cheapest i have found was $182
looks good but still after more speed might have to wait till ssd or something
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max recommended monitor size | MacBook Pro issues. »