New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cool Your iBook by underclocking video card????


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
eburness
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Ok guys,

Here's an idea. I've noticed the iBook has a tendency to get hot at times. Mine can hit 60C+ under the right (or wrong, depending on perspective) conditions. However, the GPU temperature of the Radeon 9200 is always hotter, and ranges between 50C at the low end and 65C under bad conditions. My question is then, since most of us don't use our iBooks for games or intense graphics work, is why do we need our Radeon's to run at the mhz speed that they do? A desktop version of the 9200 runs around 300mhz for both the GPU core and RAM, so I'm assuming the notebook version is around that (perhaps slightly lower). But I don't think we need that kinda of mhz horsepower for the the video card. The sysem would run the exact same at a video GPU and RAM speed of, say, 200mhz, and our iBooks would run both cooler and longer (fewer mhz means both less heat and power consumption).

Now, in the windows world there are many programs to do this kinda of trick, even for notebooks. The program Powerstrip is the best one, though I don't think there is a OS X version (could be wrong though). Does anyone know of a program that lets OS X users adjust their video card settings??
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
No I don't, but I would say that OS X uses the graphics capabilities to power quartz extreme that display effects such as ExposÚ, the genie effect, resizing etc...

So if you could slow the GPU, you might notice slowdown in general system graphics performance...
QUOTE Thanks
eburness
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
No I don't, but I would say that OS X uses the graphics capabilities to power quartz extreme that display effects such as ExposÚ, the genie effect, resizing etc...

So if you could slow the GPU, you might notice slowdown in general system graphics performance...

Ok all, so update on the underclocking of the iBook's Radeon 9200. I found a program called "ATIccelator II" which adds a systems preferences pane that allows you to raise or lower your ATI graphics card's GPU and memory clock speeds.

I discovered the default settings are 183mhz for the GPU and 190mhz for the VRAM. I downclocked both of these to 100mhz (roughly a 45% drop-off in clock speed for both). First of all, I noticed zero stability problems through a/b 12 hours of uptime. Secondly, I noticed no lag in the general system performance. My guess is that while some older powerbooks and iBooks, with less powerful GPU's and less VRAM might have rendering speed issues at a lower clock rate, the newer ones are more than powerful enough to run smoothly even while downclocked. Thirdly, I noticed a/b a 12 minute increase in battery life, from a/b 4:03 hrs to right at 4:15 hrs. A small increase, but an increase nonetheless.

If anyone else wishes to try this please post your results here.


iBook G4 1ghz (1.07ghz in system info)
768mb RAM
30gb HD
Airport Extreme
OS X 10.3.6

Amd AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2.2ghz (10x220mhz)
Epox 8RDA+ rev. 2 mobo
512mb PC2700 @ 220fsb
GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
60gb HD / Floppy / DVD-RW+/-
WinXP Pro
QUOTE Thanks
eburness
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburness
Ok all, so update on the underclocking of the iBook's Radeon 9200. I found a program called "ATIccelator II" which adds a systems preferences pane that allows you to raise or lower your ATI graphics card's GPU and memory clock speeds.

I discovered the default settings are 183mhz for the GPU and 190mhz for the VRAM. I downclocked both of these to 100mhz (roughly a 45% drop-off in clock speed for both). First of all, I noticed zero stability problems through a/b 12 hours of uptime. Secondly, I noticed no lag in the general system performance. My guess is that while some older powerbooks and iBooks, with less powerful GPU's and less VRAM might have rendering speed issues at a lower clock rate, the newer ones are more than powerful enough to run smoothly even while downclocked. Thirdly, I noticed a/b a 12 minute increase in battery life, from a/b 4:03 hrs to right at 4:15 hrs. A small increase, but an increase nonetheless.

If anyone else wishes to try this please post your results here.


iBook G4 1ghz (1.07ghz in system info)
768mb RAM
30gb HD
Airport Extreme
OS X 10.3.6

Amd AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2.2ghz (10x220mhz)
Epox 8RDA+ rev. 2 mobo
512mb PC2700 @ 220fsb
GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
60gb HD / Floppy / DVD-RW+/-
WinXP Pro



I forgot to add that I noticed a/b a 6C drop in the GPU temperature and a 2C degree drop in the CPU temperature when downclocking both the GPU and VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
McGuillicuddy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Wow. 183/190 is awfully weak. Has anyone tried to overclock the 9200? Surely it can handle higher settings than that.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy
Wow. 183/190 is awfully weak. Has anyone tried to overclock the 9200? Surely it can handle higher settings than that.
He did not overclock, he underclocked. That is why you see the numbers 183/190.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
McGuillicuddy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I'm aware that he underclocked; he underclocked to 100/100, but the default settings are 183/190 (i.e. that's what we're all currently running with) which I thought was a bit weak.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Rereading his post. My bad.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
eburness
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Rereading his post. My bad.

Ok, new news. I've discoevred the lowest u can underclock the card before the screen starts looking weird is a/b 25mhz for the gpu and memory clocks. Anythign above that is fine. System performance did seem a bit less snappy. So I've settled on 120mhz for both the GPU and VRAM.

Does anyone know of a way to dynamically underlock the system CPU or anythign else that might keep the iBook running cool?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Well, I believe the settings for processor performance in the energy saver preferences do slow down the processor to save energy, but once again - I don't know of any utility to actually scale down the speed in Mhz...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« PB geting hotter than usual, and slowing performance | ╔ What the╔╔ »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
RADEON 9800 Pro Special Mac Edition 256MB Video Card YA or Nay? knemonic Other Hardware and Peripherals 6 09-29-2007 07:23 PM
Video Card for the G4 ibook 1GHz Sp4rk3 Apple Notebooks 6 12-07-2004 01:21 PM
iBook G3 800 Video Card Question DakRoland Apple Notebooks 2 10-12-2004 02:31 AM
Video Card question... Joeytpg Switcher Hangout 5 05-20-2004 06:43 PM
Video Editing on G4 iBook (800 MHz) Crazyaustralian Apple Notebooks 3 12-11-2003 03:22 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?