New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - HDD upgrade does not void Apple Care

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chat19

chat19 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600

So I called apple and asked them if upgrading my HDD would void the Apple Care, and the lady said no as long as someone certified did it (like Best Buy). The obvious thing is that the new HDD would not be covered under Apple Care.

Will any 2.5" HDD fit?

So when I do this, what do I need to do to install Leopard? Do I simply put in the Leopard DVD?

Does it matter that mine is a "Mac OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD?" Is that just an upgrade copy or what?

And finally, can I just use a Time Machine backup to handle it?

THANKS!

ps- I will not pay Geek Squad $150 to do it for me

"We, the Chinese people, draft the entire Woo-Tang Clan!"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Just make sure the replacement HDD is SATA and meets these specs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-.../2.5-Notebook/

The best way, in my opinion, to upgrade and copy your system over to the new HDD is to use cloning software: SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are both excellent choices for doing the job. Do some reading on both applications at their respective web sites. You should not have to reinstall Leopard.

And yes, you most certainly can use Time Machine although - again my personal opinion - it's not as easy as using the software I mentioned above.

As for the "Geek Squad" thing, I certainly agree with you. Good luck on your upgrade and be careful installing that new HDD!

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

No one certified should have to install the HD for you. The HD is a user serviceable part.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
No one certified should have to install the HD for you. The HD is a user serviceable part.
Not on the Macbook Pro. You need to disassemble the chassis to replace it.

Now, personally I don't find that to be too difficult but...

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Not on the Macbook Pro. You need to disassemble the chassis to replace it.

Now, personally I don't find that to be too difficult but...
Thanks for the clarification.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chat19 View Post
So when I do this, what do I need to do to install Leopard? Do I simply put in the Leopard DVD?

Does it matter that mine is a "Mac OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD?" Is that just an upgrade copy or what?
You will need to load tiger (10.4) first if you plan to use the leopard drop-in DVD.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
chat19

chat19 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate your help!

Now I just need to decide if it is worth the risk of having my HDD die and then rip it open again...

"We, the Chinese people, draft the entire Woo-Tang Clan!"
QUOTE Thanks
fyreous

fyreous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina MacBook Pro (15")

I just replaced my original MBP Hard Drive with the new 320GB 7200rpm model from Hitachi. While comfortable doing it myself, I took it to a local Apple-Certified shop just so that I could make sure not to ruin my AppleCare. It took them about 45 minutes, and now I have twice as much HDD space and higher performance too.

If you have a 15" MBP, MAKE SURE you get a 9.5mm height SATA drive, instead of the larger one. The 12.5mm only fits in the 17" MBP model.

QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

This is exactly what I'm looking at doing for my MBP, and was wondering about the steps required. I saw that it has to be taken apart to replace the drive, but didn't know what type/size/etc I could use. I have the 17" and would now have thought to check the size of the drive; I just assumed it would hold a normal laptop size drive.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

what is the diff between a 8MB cache and a 16MB cache??

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
what is the diff between a 8MB cache and a 16MB cache??
The 16MB cache will have slightly faster seek times.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Specs! Do i need an upgrade? | quick ? »