New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - My Mac will be 2 years old soon.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Hey friends!

So lately I've noticed that my macbook is kind of slowing down, mainly when I use Safari. I'm pretty sure its because I only have 512mb of ram. Agree? I could barely run 2 applications at once.

I used to run on 1GB but I had some problems with the memory I was using. So I finally got around to it and I went all out and got 2GB from Crucial.

I'm excited! Soon my mac will be ready to run Leopard.

QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Congrats netty! The extra RAM should definitely pep up your MacBook.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

My MacBook is also two years old and right from the start I maxxed out the ram - never noticed a slow down ever
QUOTE Thanks
Bman

Bman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb

yeah my computer is slowing down too...although not a mac, an hp laptop, it only has 384mb of ram... nightmare...So when i buy my new mac with the 4 gb of ram...i cant even believe the amount of power that thing will posess

Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD
iPod Touch 8gb
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Yea, the extra ram will help you out quite a bit, you'll be able to run a lot more applications at once with 2Gb of ram.

My MBP is nearing the 2 year mark, I must have bought mine the same time as you. You could always run Onyx and have it clear out some of the caches.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

My MacBook will also soon be 2 years old.

More RAM would be nice for your machine Netty, however even with 2 GBs of RAM installed, Safari can be a memory hog. For some reason, it just grows and grows over time, unlike Firefox that now seems to have all its memory issues under control. I actually did an experiment when FF3 RC2 was released to compared memory useage between the browsers, and after about 4 days of up time, safari was using 194MBs and Firefox 84Mbs, with roughly the same history.

Try this for a laugh. Watch some streaming video on Safari and then browse some ordinary sites and see if/when Safari gives up the memory it hogged. I'll answer for you, it doesn't.

I reckon Safari 4 will address these issues... but upgrade your RAM anyway!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
kristian

kristian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BlackBook 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

get pumped for the upgrade, you'll definitely notice a significant difference!
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone! I think I'll give Firefox 3 a try too.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I think FF 3 is pretty nice so far, I got it a week ago and haven't had any problems. Although they haven't gotten Firebug working with it yet, so that's not any good for me.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

Camino has been decent for me - better than Safari anyway as far as hogging RAM - you should check that browser too.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

it should be a huge improvement. i just switched from firefox to Flock. it is really neat. it has a lot of social networking apps buit into it.
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I would add ram and make sure you empty the cache regularly. I use Onyx to maintain my macs and it really seems to help. There are scripts that need to be run regularly and it's usually set to be done durning the wee hours of the night. Thats why I use Onyx so that I can run the scripts while I am up. It may help. It helped mine.

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Thanks Macgirl. I currently use MainMenu to clear caches and such. I've tried Onyx before but it was a bit over my head. MainMenu is pretty simple for me. It also has a scripts option but I've never given it a try. I will now.

QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Got my 2GB today, Macky is running like a champ!

QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

What did you have to do to get it back? Congrats!

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about ibook clamshell | Holy..So LOST »