New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Firewire drive mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I finally got my iMac G5, so Im pretty stoked, but now I can't seem to transfer my info over from my powerbook. I have tried booting into firewire drive mode by holding down the 't' key while rebooting on my powerbook, but it never comes up in firewire drive mode.. it just boots up normally. Any ideas? anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Have you tried making the iMac the target?
What about using the power adapter rather than the battery in your powerbook.

Found this at the apple site
When setting up for FireWire Target Disk Mode, make sure that your PowerBook is the only FireWire device connected to the other computer and that no additional FireWire devices are connected to your PowerBook. If additional FireWire devices are connected, FireWire Target Disk Mode will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

If you USB/Firewire the Powerbook to the iMac, does it not mount like an external drive? If so a drag of all files I guess would follow
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

This doesn't make sense to me, but amybe it will to you. This was pulled from Apple article 58583.

The computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

yeah but I want to transfer everything using Apples transfer utility from my powerbook to the iMac.. I have started the iMac in target disk mode, so that works, but I can't get my powerbook to startup in it. I do have the power adapter plugged in, so that's not the problem. The only firewire devices hooked up is the powerbook to the iMac and then I have had it so they are not hooked up also and it still will not go into target disk mode... I don't have the open firmware password thing on, either.. that's turned off...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

thats in netinfo manager, it deals with the root user, I think, but if you connect the two macs via firewire to firewire, it should mount the pbook as an external drive and you should be able to drag and drop, you could also use somthing like transmit, or apple remote desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

I would really really like to use Setup Assistant, since I have transferred my files over, etc, but my applications, etc do not work anymore, I have to stick in username/passwords, some I have to reinstall and some just plain don't work anymore. Now according to "Setup Assistant" it says:

"If you have another Mac with built-in FireWire, you can transfer all of the information from that Mac, including network and account settings, to this one."

That's exactly what I need and want...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Is this link helpful?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

So, you have to have the powerbook as the target to do what you want.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120092

Here is a portion of this article…
Firmware Update 4.2.9 includes improvements to Firewire target disk mode when running Mac OS X,
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I say reinstall all your apps, itd be tedious, and boring, but its the best way to avoid problems down the line.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

I didn't see anything about target disk mode on that link.. was that the right one?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah I have 4.2.9 installed.. yeah I could reinstall everything, and put in all my passwords, serial numbers, etc and then try to transfer over all my mail, internet settings, firefox settings, etc etc etc... but when they have a utility that does all this seamlessly.. I wouldnt mind using it Ill probably give apple support a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Yeah I have 4.2.9 installed.. yeah I could reinstall everything, and put in all my passwords, serial numbers, etc and then try to transfer over all my mail, internet settings, firefox settings, etc etc etc... but when they have a utility that does all this seamlessly.. I wouldnt mind using it Ill probably give apple support a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.
true, sounds smart.....*cough*..... also sounds like its not that seamless.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

yeah no doubt, Im sure it's something small though.. my powerbook definitely qualifies for having target disk mode.. so it's just a matter of the right settings.. whatever those might be
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

Procedure isn't seamless if the powerbook would start in target mode (which it should be doing antway)

Zap the PRAM?

I seen where a person had trouble booting after being in target mode and had to remove the battery and start up using the power supply and then install the battery.
Have you tried with the battery removed? Have you tried it only using the battery?(kinda looking for voodoo)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Polishing powerbook | recording sound »