Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    darrenscerri's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    Hi Mac Forums! I'm currently a Windows (PC) user, and am willing to switch to Mac. I'm planning of buying a MacBook (2.4Ghz Black) in about September. Is it wise to buy the current version of MacBook or it is more worth it to wait until next revision of the Apple Notebooks line? Another question, I have read some speculations that Apple will be updating the MacBook and MacBook Pro in Q3 2008 i.e. should be any day now! Are these speculations and rumors correct? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    Arekisu's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 10, 2007
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    128
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
    Someone pointed me to this web site.

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

  3. #3
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    darrenscerri's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2008
    Posts
    6
    I've already visited that site and literally studied it. It says that the MacBook is in the Neutral range, meaning that it is safe to buy, while others speculate that an update is imminent (Q3 2008 i.e. now!)

  4. #4
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!

    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2008
    Location
    los angeles, california
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.4ghz 15"
    i would say go ahead and buy it now, it's worth it!
    www.stickam.com/dennishegstad
    ^^ check out my site.

  5. #5
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    Arekisu's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 10, 2007
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    128
    Specs:
    Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
    I'd wait until September. Then look and see what that site or anybody else says.

    No point rushing in and finding out that there's a revision after you've bought one. I bought mine about a month before the last revision, mine can only use 2Gb of RAM and has a slightly slower CPU, doesn't bother me that much but i do wish i'd waited.

    I doubt any revision (if any) will be huge.

  6. #6
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    darrenscerri's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2008
    Posts
    6
    I agree that if there will be a revision it will be minor, or just some design change and feature additions and not Processer speed etc. Penryn processers go up till only 2.6Ghz, which the MacBook Pro uses, and it is most unlikely Apple to upgrade the MacBook with a 2.6GHz which costs $1499 with a 2.6Ghz and leave the MacBook Pro with a 2.6Ghz with a price tag of $2499. That would make the MacBook and the MacBook Pro equal performance-wise (except for the dedicated VGA). The only difference would be the design and the bigger screen, but I am a college student, so a 13.3" is perfect for portability.

  7. #7
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!
    dr_doof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2008
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
    the current macbook revision is very safe, as it is the revision E, so many problems would be pointed out already. since the new portables are expected within the next 2 weeks, it's your decision whether or not to buy the macbook. it may be possible that you like the current design and not the upcoming design...
    Chat Potatoes

  8. #8
    Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!

    Member Since
    Jan 30, 2008
    Location
    Close to nowhere, far from anywhere
    Posts
    104
    Specs:
    Mac Mini
    The only update I can see coming is the possibility of Intel's Centrino 2... That's just about it, pretty minor, maybe a faster CPU choice..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buying my first macbook. Seeking advice
    By kevdawg86 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
  2. Seeking Help with Connecting MacBook to TV
    By YasmineAida in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 03:07 PM
  3. Seeking advice for crashing macbook pro
    By annew in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 08:55 PM
  4. Seeking advice on Macbook Pro for Final Cut/editing
    By MrMagicMushroom in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •