New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Audio quality?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dvondrake

Dvondrake is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'll be getting a MacBook Pro sometime soon, but I need to make sure of one thing first. I find myself listening to music pretty much every day, so sound quality is a very important factor in any computer I buy.
How is the sound quality on the MacBook Pro? I don't expect much from it's speakers, but what if you've got it plugged into some nice headphones or speakers? Would the sound quality be comparable to that of a PC with a non-integrated (PCI) sound card?
Thanks in advance. I can't wait to get my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It would sound the same as an integrated card seeing the card is integrated.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Dvondrake

Dvondrake is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I was a bit unclear in my first post.
What I meant was is the MacBook Pro's sound quality any good in comparison to the sound card upgrades you can buy for PCs? I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro right now, and I wouldn't want to feel like I downgraded with the MacBook Pro's sound card.
Would anyone happen to know the sound-to-noise ratio for the MacBook Pro's sound card?
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

I get some minor noise through when headphones are hooked up to my MBP, intermittent problem. It doesn't bother me that much, but it might bother some audiophiles!

Other than that, the MBP and MB both come with an optical output, which is great for a notebook!
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

The MBP audio out is fairly dirty in comparison to what you might expect. If your serious about the sound consider a usb dac/amp setup. I use the Travagan’s Green and it does a good job with a clean output.
QUOTE Thanks
mary2al

mary2al is on a distinguished road

Found this on another forum where many were complaining about noise on MBP sound;

Problem solved for me. Just changed out my Fujitsu hard drive with a Seagate and the noises are COMPLETELY GONE. As I suspected, the Fujitsu hard drives have long been known for bleeding noise on laptops.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

For true music clarity, go with an external audio interface for your Mac.
I use M-Audio's FireWire Audiophile for live recording/playing, DJing and MIDI connected to my MBP. Very low latency and at 24bit/96kHz.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
flopsy

flopsy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011/2012 27" iMacs, 2010/2012 Pro's, 2012/2013 Retina 15" MB Pro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary2al View Post
Found this on another forum where many were complaining about noise on MBP sound;

Problem solved for me. Just changed out my Fujitsu hard drive with a Seagate and the noises are COMPLETELY GONE. As I suspected, the Fujitsu hard drives have long been known for bleeding noise on laptops.
Maybe the more overt noises are gone or your headphones aren't very sensitive - but I've found with pretty much any Macbook Pro (including the current Retinas) that the analog out is pretty much akin to older Windows notebooks where you could regularly hear artifacts on the analog out. It occured to me about a year ago that I just don't hear fzzts, plops and skeeeks on Windows notebooks anymore (unless you buy complete junk of course - but even then, maybe not), whereas it's still a fixture on some machines on the Apple side.

Bottom line is that if you want acceptably clean analog audio on a Mac, you're more often than not better off going via digital or USB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transition from PC to Macbook? | Would like to upgrade ram on mid-2010 Macbook »