New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Made a mess of things, hope someone can help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jags86

jags86 is on a distinguished road

So I was attempting to get a dual boot system running on my macbook with osx and linux. Failed miserably--it's just too much of a pain to get any linux distribution working properly on my macbook. Installed rEFIt to get a bootloader screen, etc. etc.

Problem is, I can't seem to remove the 4 linux partitions from the hard drive and put them back with my osx partition. There seems to be 6 partitions on my harddrive, 120 gig osx partiton, 150 or so meg EFI partition it seems, and 4 linux partitions (swap 1 gig, / 250 meg, /boot 2gig, /usr about 30 gig). I can't get rid of the 4 linux partitions--disk utility just says "preparing to remove" forever.

I would even reinstall OS X completely, however, when i put in the 10.5 cd, it still shows 4 partitions (not 6?) and even the os x disc disk utility doesn't seem to want to remove the partitions either.

Anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I did the same thing and had to nuke my hard drive to fix it. Run disk utility from the OS X install disk and delete all your partitions then create one single partition to install the OS on. I would also make a time machine back up of your current OS X install so you don't lose all your data. Good luck.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
I did the same thing and had to nuke my hard drive to fix it.
I wouldn't do that quite yet. Download a bootable disk called Parted Magic Live CD. It will let you repartition your HDD without losing data.

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php

Make a bootable CD (I assume you can do that since you're familiar with Linux). After booting the CD, delete the extra partitions you don't need, then resize your OS X partition to fill the unallocated space. Parted Magic can handle all file systems, including HFS+.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
jags86

jags86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
I wouldn't do that quite yet. Download a bootable disk called Parted Magic Live CD. It will let you repartition your HDD without losing data.

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php

Make a bootable CD (I assume you can do that since you're familiar with Linux). After booting the CD, delete the extra partitions you don't need, then resize your OS X partition to fill the unallocated space. Parted Magic can handle all file systems, including HFS+.
Thanks for the suggestion, however I made the cd and when I go to boot from it--it loads but then randomly freezes/crashes when I'm attempting to repartition. No luck for me I guess :-/. I guess I'll back up and reformat. Several hours down the drain, I guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Chime and Black Screen at startup. Still works KIND OF | The video memory.. »