New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - help please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ginirosaru

ginirosaru is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm having a problem with my macbook. I'm thinking maybe a button is stuck? Every time I do something, my computer talks. (opening new window firefox! for example. or "vertical scroll!" "dashboard, calculator..."). I think it's a talk thing that helps blind people navigate.

Also, when I press any of the buttons on top it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The mute button makes all the windows go out, the volume down button makes them scroll away vertically, the volume up button makes the dashboard show, etc.

I was thinking restarting the computer would help but it didn't. Also, there seems to be a weird square or something that shows up on webpages and when I x out of webpages it shows up on the dashboard.

I don't think it is a virus because I haven't downloaded anything.

It fixes when I hold the fn button down. I'll press fn and mute adn it mutes, fn and volume up and the volume goes up, etc.

Is a button stuck? Did the computer get jostled? Is there any way to fix this myself or see what it might be or do I have to bring it in? Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

ginirosaru,

Go to System Preferences/Speech (in the Systems section) and un-check the checked boxes that give you speech alerts, announcements, etc. That should stop your computer from "talking."

As for the other weird effects you're getting, download and run Mainmenu here: http://www.santasw.com/ Run the maintenance ans permissions scripts and clear the caches. that may help you out!

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
ginirosaru

ginirosaru is on a distinguished road

I just went in and none of the boxes are checked for speech alerts. When I hold the fn key down everything seems to fix and the computer stops talking, the volume controls and brightness controls work again, etc. As soon as I let it go though all the issues come back. It almost seems like the FN key's function got reversed. It's weird.

I suppose I'll have to bring it in; it definitely doesn't seem normal.

Thanks for the idea though
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

To fix the sound issue- Apple Menu-> system preferences-> universal access-> turn voice over off.

To fix the keyboard issue- Apple Menu-> system preferences-> Keyboard & mouse-> uncheck use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edit: Noels beat me to it He is really on top of things.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to get the best life out of the battery? | Is this damage common? »