New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Adding RAM to MacBook - Need Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

holden636

holden636 is on a distinguished road

I have been reading other posts and I think I have everything right but please let me know if anything is wrong. I'm ordering more RAM memory for my MacBook (2d gen). Here are the spec for it currently:

MacBook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB (2 x 512MB) 667 MHz DDR2

I am upgrading the RAM to 2GB (1GB x 2) from Crucial. Here is a link to the actual kit I'm buying. The other one that I was thinking about buying was the Kingston kit (link). However, the price difference made me go with the Crucial ($47.99 vs. $70).

What do you guys think? Is this the correct choice? Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

holden636,

Crucial is good RAM, so I'd say you are making a good choice. Have you considered going to 4GB? If you can afford the difference, your Macbook performance will be the better for it.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Actually, your Macbook can support up to 3GB. The (SR) Santa Rosa models can support 4GB.

"However, third-parties have discovered that "pre-Santa Rosa" MacBook models equipped with a "Core 2 Duo" processor will work with 3 GB of RAM (those with a Core 2 Duo processor released prior to November 1, 2007) -- which requires a 2 GB module and a 1 GB module."
"This "mismatched" configuration will modestly compromise performance of video-related tasks but likely will be of interest for users who primarily use the system for CPU and memory-intensive tasks."

"Other World Computing has posted detailed test results comparing the performance of the MacBook configured with matched and mismatched memory." http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/faq/macbook-how-to-upgrade-ram.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...007-specs.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR3GBK/

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

Any known brand will do the job, just don't settle for a weird brand RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I have just installed 2 x 2Gb of Kington RAM in my macbook, and everything seems to be running fine - so far.
QUOTE Thanks
holden636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
holden636,

Crucial is good RAM, so I'd say you are making a good choice. Have you considered going to 4GB? If you can afford the difference, your Macbook performance will be the better for it.

Noel
Thanks. I was going up to 2GB only because that's all I thought I needed. I'm not currently having any problems with the 1GB currently installed and I don't download any music or video piles on this computer (have a Dell PC for that). I was more so upgrading the RAM for precautionary measures. I recently got Photoshop (although still haven't figured out how to use it) and didn't want it to slow my computer down in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
holden636

Also - Thanks to all of the repsonses so far.
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaMan

ScubaMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaud View Post
I have just installed 2 x 2Gb of Kington RAM in my macbook, and everything seems to be running fine - so far.
Am abt to do similar upgrade to my older machine. 2.0Ghz Duo Core version. system came with 2 x 256MB. Can I just purchase 1 x 2GB and install to the machine? (my machine support max to 2GB only) tks.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMan View Post
Am abt to do similar upgrade to my older machine. 2.0Ghz Duo Core version. system came with 2 x 256MB. Can I just purchase 1 x 2GB and install to the machine? (my machine support max to 2GB only) tks.
Yes, just make sure to buy a matched pair.
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=248

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help me with my buy | Clamshell battery woes - A solution »